Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car blowing smoke.

MrGenIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I'm looking at purchashing a VE Clubsport. It's got a cam upgrade, exhaust, extractors and OTR intake. I'm in a different state though so I can't just go and look at it. He sent me a video of it and started it up. It blew a bit of black smoke out the exhaust on sfartup, then a bit less when he revved it. Just wondering what could cause this?

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
yer, so, you have a video, we gotta guess as to what it is ;)
imagine if we could see the video?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
All of those mods will cause that. black smoke is typically fuel from running rich. It's very common. You maybe able to get rid of it... maybe not...

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
maybe a rich tune.

maybe some dodgey o2 sensors

maybe more fuel more powwwwaaarrrrrrrrr?????

just get him to take it back to the shop that did the cam and tune and say WTF

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
just depends mate, my afr 11.7 - 11.8 and I still get the smoke, it sounds like nothing is wrong but showing us the vid will help!

or as said could be running rich ect

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Yes it could be just running rich but it could also be a combination of both black and blue smoke the car is releasing which is potentially a much greater concern. You do not know until it is checked out by a competent mechanic.

I would be very wary of committing yourself to a purchase like this that you have not checked out thoroughly, especially one that has engine mods. I would not rely on what the seller is telling you either. I know of too many chumps who have bought cars they did not check out thoroughly and discovered the seller had misled them.

In the very least pay for a full pre-purchase inspection from a competent business if you are still serious about buying the car from another State. Otherwise, if you are patient something in your State (which is easier to check out) will come up for sale that fits your requirements.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I thought the exhaust looked blue?????? It sure sounds good though. How many kms?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u start the engine from dead cold and rev it straight away can blow black smoke cos its in choke so will be ritcher anyway, also remember if ur not getting it with a roadworthy most cams, exhaust, intake ect wont pass...