Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car speaker in home audio??

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Is there any real difference between car and home audio speakers than their impedance ratings?

Your typical bookshelf speakers generally house's a mid driver between 3''to 6.5'', and a tweeter. I can't see why 2 set's of good quality car audio speakers in an enclosure, larger than your typical book shelf speaker, wouldn't sound as good, if not better?

Can some one give me the rough internal volume of an enclosure measuring 18"H x 9"W x 20"L ? If i'm right it adds up to about 50litres? More than i probably need, i cold probably make them a bit wider, and a bit less longer..

its about 53 litres. 2.54cm = 1 inch, 1000 cubic cm = 1 litre. You also need to take into account the thickness of the wood.

edit: 38 litres with 18mm mdf, as was just posted above I noticed haha

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
its about 53 litres. 2.54cm = 1 inch, 1000 cubic cm = 1 litre. You also need to take into account the thickness of the wood.

he asked for internal volume, but didn't specify if they were internal, or external dimensions, so you'd have to assume they were external :p

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
They were very rough external dimensions. Just working out the largest enclosure i could make, without going overboard. I think a 30-35L enclosure would suffiecient for 2x 6.5'' drivers.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
lol @ car battery. How do you keep it charged? Small PSU next to it?

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
hmm, thats quite a fail :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just so you know, that's not my setup. I have an actual AC powered sound system on my computer and server. As for how it's charged, it's got a battery charger on it which never gets turned off. Working full time means it gets charged up when not in use, the used then recharges :p

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Just so you know, that's not my setup. I have an actual AC powered sound system on my computer and server. As for how it's charged, it's got a battery charger on it which never gets turned off. Working full time means it gets charged up when not in use, the used then recharges :p

Why would you have an audio system on a server?

aZk.