Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car speaker in home audio??

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
No one thinks the battery might be a little bit dangerous indoors...?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Battery gases, makes your gaming experience that much better.

The local WOW store has a similar setup in their installation bay, battery, and battery charger, very cheap. But the installation bay is very big so the battery gases aren't a problem.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Why would you have an audio system on a server?

aZk.
Main reason is for security issues. If anything happens it provides an audible warning. It also controls the whole audio system here, makes all sound sound better! :p It doesn't take too much work for it to do it, so i figure why not. There is more reasons, but they're the main ones. Dont wanna go too offtopic

No one thinks the battery might be a little bit dangerous indoors...?
Nope... :smoking: I've seen many installs similar to this, and they're all fine.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Alrighty then, i've come up with 2 possible enclosures, each with there own Pro's and Con's...Some from advice would be great.Also, suggestions would be appreciated..
So, basically with each design, each Mid Woofer is seperate, has it's own chamber. Each chamber is also of equal volume.

Option 1, Both chamber's are designed to equal specs, with both drivers being the same distance from the top to bottom of chamber respectively, and equal distance from ports. This (to me) would give optimum performance for both the mid drivers. However , my concern with this setup, is that the top woofer, is placed to close to the tweeter. Could this placement have some sort of negative effect on the sound stage?

Option 2, I have tried to recitify the possible issue of having one of the Mid Woofer's to close to the tweeter. This was done by angling the chamber divider, but still ensuring that both chambers maintain the same internal volume. My concern with this design though, is that the enclosure's for each driver, are not to equal spec (as far as their shape, and their position to their ports), and that the sound waves are reflecting back into different volumes..

Any thoughts? Also the ports, are undecided, and are only there for illustration purposes, should i choose to use them..Does anyone think i should add additional MDF peices to the enclosure's to help break up the sound waves, or could these be controlled with sufficient dampening?

Attachments

• option1.jpg
    option1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Option2.jpg
    Option2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Wouldn't getting your desired angle be quite difficult with Option 2?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Getting the desired angle is easy, and also give's me the opputunity to add addtional sheets, which not only brace, but break up the rear firing sound waves. My concern is that the woofer's will be firing into different shapes enclosure's, and could affect the tuning, amongst other things..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's pretty straight forward if you assemble the chambers first, and then the walls around it. But one thing i didn't think of, is that if i plan on having them pushed up against a wall anywhere, then i'll have to shift the ports to the front. I'm thinking i'll just keep it simple, i'm fairly confident that the woofer, shouldn't interfere with the tweeter.

But i'm not sure if my port calculations are correct...Each individual chamber is 0.974ft3, with a 3 inch round port, tuned to 80hz, the port length is only 0.8", does that sound correct? That's one very little port:rolleyes:(infact, with that size port, if i double layer the baffle, the port wouldn't even be long enough to enter the chamber...hmm, which means it would alter the lenght of the port, changing the frequency)aarrgggg! If i want my mids to play 80hz and above, should i be tuning the enclosure for 80hz, or should it be tuned higher to peak louder at a higher frequency? Or are ports really just for low fq response..? meaning they should ideally be completely sealed...?

Attachments

• front firing.jpg
    front firing.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

BaggedVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Shaggin Waggin
maybe you just shouldn't make these at all?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Why do say that? What's the main difference between car and home speakers, not a great deal. I've found the T/S spec's for the drivers, and it seems they would best perform in a large sealed, or an even larger ported enclosure. The desingn i have come up with, has 15L per chamber. Which could be considered around average for your car door, except they won't have any leaks. I have a Beyhringer amp which is capable of putting out 400RMS @2ohm per channel, to drive the speakers. I also have the advantage of being able to move them around, and find the best placement.

I've looked around, and i've listened to speakers around the $600-700, and it's honestly garbage for the money. Were talking single drivers,(with inadequete fq response for what i'm after) with some of the enclosure's not even being dampened, have no bracing, and noting internally to assist in breaking up the sound waves. Also judging the some of the small rear ports i've also seen on speakers this size, it would seem there was a very minimal amount of research and development hours going into the design of them.This is especially the case, with some bookshelf speakers i've seen, having a rear port, how are they supposed to mounted in a bookshelf, if they have a rear port?

And if you were to go and buy all the parts all build it yourself, you begin to realise just how cheap and poorly made some of the stuff is on today's market.

Not only that, the market if forever leaning towards 5.1, 7.1, and now even 9.1 trends. I'm aiming at a high power 2.2 setup, which in my mind when playing music, is all you should ever need.