Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cat Back Exhuast for 2005 VZ Commodore Equipe

vzcommodore98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Equipe
Hey guys, would putting a cat back exhuast (w/ muffler) mack the car growl more / sound better?

also would it be legal for a P plater to have a growler kit?

Im new to the car side of the world so anything else I could do to make the car better?

Thanks

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Hey guys, would putting a cat back exhuast (w/ muffler) mack the car growl more / sound better?

also would it be legal for a P plater to have a growler kit?

Im new to the car side of the world so anything else I could do to make the car better?

Thanks

No, it's not legal for you to have a growler kit. It's also illegal for you to have a cat back exhaust.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Go to an exhaust shop and pick up a second hand HSV exhaust off a VY or VZ and put it on. Will flow more than enough to give good performance while only being fractionally louder than stock. Best of all it won't drone or sound like utter poo.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust at all. It's not an engine modification, only if you fit extractors. A cat back is fine as long as it meets ADR's, which is, it must retain the factory number of mufflers, and it can't be over the legal noise limit.

I do a Manta twin 2 1/4" into single 3" for the VZ that sounds really good. Nice and deep, no drone, and is legal. $495 shipped. Direct bolt on cat back.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That is an engine mod, not allowed for a P plater.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Hey NAAF do the mantas flow a lot better than the standard exhaust? Just wondering as I've got the standard system on my VZ but with a resi instead of the rear muffler and I'm fairly happy with the sound as it is. So was wondering if the manta was worth it purely based on flow.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes it does. The original system is smaller and has crimps in it, the Manta is slightly larger and is mandrel bent all the way through. But will it flow $495 BETTER? That is something you have to weigh up to see if it's worth it to you. I'd love to say yes, just to sell an exhaust, but I'm not that hungry. I'd say you would probably go from "fairly happy" to "OMG this is incredible", when fitting the Manta.

Krissy004

real chicks drive sticks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Lol catbacks are illegal for p platers?? Funniest thing I heard, alot of little wankers with those huge exhausts and catbacks are gonna be upset then :lmao: