Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Century or SuperCharge battery, which is more suitable for my situation?

sapped

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Howdy guys,

I just have some questions regarding batteries, the battery on my car is flat and I’m hoping to get a new one.

After some searching around, I’m deciding to either get a Century one or a SuperCharge, since a lot of people recommended these two brands. My battery model is 55D23L, so these will be the batteries I’m getting:

https://www.autobarn.com.au/century-12v-automotive-battery-101100
https://www.autobarn.com.au/supercharge-automotive-battery-gold-mf75d23l

The Century Hi-Performance one cost $175 and is 2 years warranty
The SuperCharge GoldPlus one cost $204 and is 40 months warranty

I am just wondering though, which one would be the best value for money and bang for the buck?

I think it’s important to factor in my driving tendency for this decision, since I don’t really drive the car that much. I mostly just drive 10 minutes per day, travelling between work from Monday to Friday. During the weekends, I mostly just drive 20 minutes for grocery shopping. So yeah, I really don’t drive the car a lot.

Thus I’m just wondering, which of these batteries do you guys recommend getting? I’m planning to keep the car for a long time as well. So taking into account all these factors, which would be the better choice for me?

Thank you so much for reading through this, sincerely appreciate your time and comments. If there are other batteries recommended, please let me know as well.

Cheers and best wishes!

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Go with the Century battery, I have gotten up to 7 years life out of them in cars and almost as long in 4wd's and have never had one fail yet.
Century batteries have been that good to me that I've been using them for at least 20 years now and I won't use any other brand of battery.

I will never use or recommend supercharge batteries, we used to use them at work and in my opinion they were just crap.....had quite a few just die within a few days after being fitted to customers cars and plenty more crapped themselves just after the customers 3 months used car warranty expired. We even had a couple of them that were dead brand new from our local supplier.

Apparently the Supercharge Batteries have improved in quality nowadays, but after my experiences with them I wouldn't even consider purchasing one.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
With the amount you drive you should get a battery charger.
And go for an hours drive every now and then.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive also been happy with the performance with Century batteries, they seem to average around 6 yrs. Best was an 08 to about a month ago, that one had a good innings.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Century are better than super charge.....I had the misfortune only a month ago, where I had a Century battery die after 12 months. I did have a headache getting it replaced under warranty, but eventually won out.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
1st. You must have a good alternator that will charge it your battery properly, otherwise it does not matter what battery you get.
2nd. Drive your vehicle regularly... or have a good 12v charger that floats(discharges) the battery.

Century or SuperCharge - Century.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agree with the above, good battery, good alternator won't do much if the car isn't driven enough. Batteries need a good charge, I suggest taking it out for a longer drive at least once every other week. It's also better for the engine/oil as a 10 minute drive doesn't heat the engine/oil fully which isn't great for the oil. The engine oil takes longer to fully warm up that it does for the engine coolant.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I currently have a Century 68, 620cca battery in my VX SS, been in for 3 years and seems to be going ok, I had a very good run from the previous battery, it was an Exide brand and it was in for 7 years, it was still going ok but due to its age I decided to swap it over and the workshop I use sold Century.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I'd choose the Century battery because it is Australian made.