Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing flange on LSD, from 3 bolt to 4 bolt

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
As above, I bought a LSD 3.46.1 for my v6 wagon. The diff is out of a vx v8 ss. I've taken the 3 bolt flange of, & l put the 4 bolt flange on. I need to know the torque setting for the flange nut.
Thanks Lex
diff 1.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
I just tightened the nut up, cut of maybe 1"of the centre shaft, so as to be able to fit tailshaft.
Started Tues. finished it of Wed. Took it for a test drive. At first all quiet. After awhile started making noises.
Went back home, put up on stands. Where the flange goes onto shaft, now all loose & leaking oil. Told pinion bearing has had it. Was all tight when l bought it.
Checked yesterday, to see how much oil was under car. None. I wouldn't have thought that l would lose the lot. I'll have to check the oil level before l take it to diff place.
Had a couple of quotes. 1. $880.00. Just take car there, no need to take diff out. If l did take out, would save $50.00.
2.$950.00 take car there. $750.00 if l only take the diff there.
I'm to tired to pull it out. So for $130.00 l'll just take car there . But it won't be till next Wed.
So, l'm walking till then.
I have a new head unit that needs fitting. Plus plenty of other things that need doing around the house (dishes, lawns, washing, just to name a few things that need doing around the house. ha ha ha).
Maybe l'll get some other things done, too.
Have a good day .
Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There isn't a specific torque for the nut but rather how much torque is required to turn the pinion which sets the bearing pre-load. You probably didn't tighten the sucker enough. Generally when removing the pinion flange you need to mark/measure where the pinion nut sits to get it back in the same spot to ensure the same bearing pre-load.

Unfortunately if you have driven it any distance like this it could very well have damaged the pinion bearings and possibly even the gear set.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
You may have altered the contact patch on the gearset teeth by not having the correct preload.
If you drove it for any length of time like this, you might find the gearset has sustained damage to the teeth and there may be a whine or a howl coming from inside the housing in 6 months time, as the hardening has been worn thin on the gear teeth due to incorrect preload.

I've found that induction hardening on the teeth in these diffs is really poor and only very thinly done and extremely easy to wear thru, if things don't have the right preload and get driven around.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
The quote l got was to replace all the bearings only, that l know of.
I was worried that once l took the car to the workshop, they would contact me & say something else needs replacing & the price would go up.
I noticed a workshop in Dandenong was advertising reco diffs for $850.00 change over. So rang them & told them what l wanted.
They built one for me today (3.46.1 with a 4 bolt flange). I've picked it up & raring to put it tomorrow & maybe Sun. morning.
Thanks for your imput. Helped me decide on the reco unit.
Thanks Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You'll be an expert getting one of these out/in now :)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
There isn't a specific torque for the nut but rather how much torque is required to turn the pinion which sets the bearing pre-load.

i took a chnce on this years ago bought a hydratrack diff out of VS HSV and change flanges, just measure the turns on nut and put back on no issues for years.

What warranty you get on new centre?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
i took a chnce on this years ago bought a hydratrack diff out of VS HSV and change flanges, just measure the turns on nut and put back on no issues for years.

What warranty you get on new centre?
I'am assuming 12 months, 20000 km.
Just read it. Reads 12 mouths 20000 klms. ha ha ha
20170428_210039[1].jpg

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I filled the oil when the diff was out then opened up the filler and let the excess drain out.