Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing Sump Gasket

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Hey all,
On saturday, i noticed a pool of oil under my car. At first i thought i must have put a hole through the sump, but on closer inspection, it seems that oil is leaking out from the gasket.

According to my workshop manual, it appears that the whole crossmember needs to be removed to remove the sump. Is this true? I understand this is a major operation, however me and my old man are qiute capable of doing it. Its just a matter of whether its worth risking ######## up the alignment of the crossmember.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, cheers,
Sam

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
it is a bitch of a job to pull the sump out but it is a job you can do yourself

rather than removing the crossmember, unbolt the ungine from the mounts and lift it up with a engine craine as far as you can

now you will be able to undo all the bolts and do your gasket... you can slide the sump out but you shouldnt have to just to do the gasket..

however it may pay while your down there to check out the condition of your oil pickup mesh.. it is a common problem that will cause low oil pressure and since you are already there it cant hurt to check

if it is a bit gunky then pull it out and clean it spotless theres only two alan key bolts holding it in

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Bite the bullet and do it yourself! it's a crapper of a job.

I converted a friends VS to a vt supercharged 6, after we got the motor in and put oil in it, we realised there was a big dirty crack in the sump!.... new sump + gasket :(

Took about 6-7 hours to do, by myself, and a few beers.

the car was up on some stands, engine supported by crane - dropped the crossmember (along with most of the front suspension)... makes for nice and easy access to the sump.

if you think about it, it's a big major piece of the car but it's only like 20 bolts to get it out :)

enjoy!

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
VP_Luke said:
Bite the bullet and do it yourself! it's a crapper of a job.

I converted a friends VS to a vt supercharged 6, after we got the motor in and put oil in it, we realised there was a big dirty crack in the sump!.... new sump + gasket :(

Took about 6-7 hours to do, by myself, and a few beers.

the car was up on some stands, engine supported by crane - dropped the crossmember (along with most of the front suspension)... makes for nice and easy access to the sump.

if you think about it, it's a big major piece of the car but it's only like 20 bolts to get it out :)

enjoy!

i'd rather undo 6 bolts :) than 20.lift motor up as far as you can go,sump slides straight out.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
It's all a matter of personal preference/time willing to spend of course :)

I hate playing with sump gaskets and goo, trying to slide the sump back in without knocking off the gasket...

Though i'm not sure how easily they slide in on these model cars :S. Either way i'm sure it's going to be an enjoyable procedure.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
And for those of us who don't have an engine crane???

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
mouce said:
And for those of us who don't have an engine crane???

like back in the bush...pure muscle,and rope...trees :D

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yeah yeah you could propably get away with rope and wood :D

two 2x4's (on towels, resting across front guards) strapped to the motor with a whole bunch of rope supported a 1.3l festiva motor

how much heavier can a v6 be?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
VP_Luke said:
how much heavier can a v6 be?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good one. Hmmm...let me see, three times the capacity and a few more cylinders. Nah, wouldn't way any more at all would it :hit:

Might just have to get an engine crane. Or borrow one.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
$50 to hire a craine for a day thats what you do if you dont have one + $50 desposit