Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine issue... please help

Kargroth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2007 SV6
Hey guys I recently brought a 2007 HOT RED VE SV6 Holden Commodore ( see profile for garage pics ) have had it about three weeks now, bought it for 17,990 with three months ago and have been every now and then been getting the " CHECK ENGINE " light come up on the front dash. now the first time this happened I got the RAA to come out n inspect it as I had work that night and didn't know how serious it was. got it looked at and they said. " it was something to do with the catialic converter sensor.

I took into Peter Paige Holden's as this is where I brought it from and they said they fixed it by swapping around the sensors. then a week later I had the same problem... went back in and they said they fixed it again... now a week later it has come up a third time. ( lucky its under warranty ) I'm just wondering if anyone would know what else maybe setting this off ? I went for a drive to Dublin the other night and happen to realize that the third time this had happened I was traveling over 100k's per hour... would it have anything to do with it ?

Hope I have given enough information and I can get a reasonable response, Thanks in advance. any feedback would be appreciated.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Because you haven't been able to provide any specific information I can only guess at what your issue is.

Firstly the check engine light can come on for a huge variety of reasons.

Because the RAA are suggesting it might be something to do with one of you catalytic converters I am assuming the RAA service man may have read the error code that caused the Check Engine Light to come on.

I'm guessing that it may have been a P0420 or P0430 error code that indicate there may be an issue with either one of the two catalytic converters your Alloytec motor has. Because it is a V6 it has two catalytic converters and P0420 relates to bank 1 (driver's side) and P0430 relates to bank 2 (passenger's side).

I believe the Check Engine light gets triggered by comparing the output of the Oxygen sensor before and after each of the catalytic converters. As I have said because you have two catalytic converters you have 4 oxygen sensors. The Holden Dealer has swapped the sensors around and they are just trying to get the fault to go away without putting any money into it. I think an oxygen sensor costs around $100. So the Holden dealer is hoping not to have to replace any of the sensors. The sensors only last so long (a guess could be 100,000kms or so).

However the problem could be one of the oxygen sensors, it could actually be one of the catalytic converts or it could even be one of the exhaust gaskets.

It would be good to know what exactly the error code is so you should ask the Holden Dealer what it is. Get them to write it down on the paper work they are giving you as a paper trail will be a good thing if this isn't resolved.

Here are some links that relate to what I am saying but as I have said I'm only guessing as you haven't provided the error code in your post.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...2006-2013/223510-engine-error-code-po430.html
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/2010-sv6-cats.211942

Good luck but keep the pressure on the dealer.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
VE V6 CATS are for premature wear/failure/ issues so it may well be a dodgy CAT. Without knowing the specific code its impossible to diagnose. Knowing what dealers are like with their warranties they won't want to spend the $800 for a new one so they have probably just driven it, been unable to fault it, cleared the code and sent it back out, or they will have swapped the CAT with another car which probably had the same issue. If you can find out what code the car logged then we might be able to shed some further light on the cause of the issue.

Popular

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alloytec V6
Check engine light Alloytec v6 code P0420

Possible air leak in cold intake air tube between fresh air filter and Throttle body,

1, Check the cold air intake flexible tubes entire condition check for any damage or leaks,
2, Make sure the flexible tube properly seated and both ends clips are fully tightened.
3, ensure air intake plastic pipe intact with Cold air tube ( use insulation tape to fix if needed)

Drive about 100 KMs after few stops and restarts, see the results. Good Luck

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey guys I recently brought a 2007 HOT RED VE SV6 Holden Commodore ( see profile for garage pics ) have had it about three weeks now, bought it for 17,990 with three months ago and have been every now and then been getting the " CHECK ENGINE " light come up on the front dash. now the first time this happened I got the RAA to come out n inspect it as I had work that night and didn't know how serious it was. got it looked at and they said. " it was something to do with the catialic converter sensor.

I took into Peter Paige Holden's as this is where I brought it from and they said they fixed it by swapping around the sensors. then a week later I had the same problem... went back in and they said they fixed it again... now a week later it has come up a third time. ( lucky its under warranty ) I'm just wondering if anyone would know what else maybe setting this off ? I went for a drive to Dublin the other night and happen to realize that the third time this had happened I was traveling over 100k's per hour... would it have anything to do with it ?

Hope I have given enough information and I can get a reasonable response, Thanks in advance. any feedback would be appreciated.

they shouldn't be swapping sensors should be new ones!!!!!!! get them to fit new

, I had 1 O2 sensor go at 120K then another at 135K otherwise running great.

Has car had timing chains done?