Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Choosing window tint

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
yeah i am a goodytwoshoes so i will most definitely be sticking to the 35%. went into local tintacar today, really nice and even tho the price isnt quite as good as a few ppl have said (they will do 330 for midnight express or 380 for formula one) it is still FAR better than holdens price of 495. the guy also offered the sirius paint protection incl leather and alloy protection but i dont know if its worth getting...it'll be 990 for interior and exterior protection incl windows tinting. so...shoudl i get this extra stuff or jsut do the tints? Also, has anyone got either midnight express or formula one adn know any worthwhile difference? there is one other tint joint in town so i'll also call them for a quote. im pretty sure all the local dealers use tintacar.

I am interested in that Midnight express - I dont care about the lifetime warranty as I am not planning to keep the car for more than 10 years

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Just a quick one... When you get your rego check done (if your car is of the age where it requires one each year) will it fail it if the tint is too dark???

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
depends on person inspecting it.

ive seen some pretty dodgy pink slips being handed out for cars that should never be allowed on the road, but the way they protect themselves if asked is to say that "the car was perfectly legal when presented to me".

all my cars have had 35% tint and I'm very happy with it. ive been in a mates car with darker tint, and I cant honestly see the drawcard. it's waaay to dark to be safe- especially at night.
not worth the risk imo... not all pedestrians or other road users have headlights, and the trauma of taking out someone because I didnt see them coming from the side windows isnt worth it.
same thing with dark rainy days. dark tint with rain drops on it (even without tint, slightly foggy windows with rain drops is very hard to see out of) is a nightmare to see through.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Yea mate there are soooo many dodgey bomb's on the road it's not funny... it makes you wonder just how they pass their rego when I get pulled up for not having enough tread on the tyres (which mind you is fair enough)... who are these people going to, surely they'd be paying them off with a cheeky $50 or something to turn a blind eye haha

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
the smaller workshops can be very dodgy. ive seen some brake tests being done with the machine being waved about in the office (ie no where near the car, let alone IN it) ;).
but at the end of the day the onus is on the owner of the vehicle, not the dodgy brothers mechanic taking your cash trying to make a living.
dont get me wrong, not sticking up for them- but for every honest guy out there, theres 2 dodgy ones!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Haha! The small things which you guys above have mentioned as being dodgy has got nothing on some of the Road Worthy's I've had done on my cars. I'm not going to tell you though as it sounds like you would all be horrified :lmao: but yes all it takes is usually a bit off cash.

I do have a question in regards to window tint though, as stupid as it may be. You hear all these ads saying they have the "Darkest Legal Tint".
If they all have it then what is the difference between the brands? Like midnight express, formula one etc..

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
The main difference is the warranty

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I reckon when you see ads and they say "darkest legal tint". its simply wording. What they are saying is they can do the darkest legal tint - 35% (or whatever it is). I dont think they are saying that their darkest legal tint is darker than their competitor's darkest legal tint...

Any car looks good with a tint.. I should take a photo of mine one of these years.