Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Christ, tonight is just gut-wrenching. They've already built the last ones.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yet at the same time they will fill our shores with 6.2 Lt camaro's. what a Croc of Shi.t. This is all about selling yank stuff to Australian. Ask Trump because he wanted this.

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
9062262-3x2-940x627.jpg

I love this one

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
New World Order-Gov't only done what the masters told them.
Our future seems to be as a mining pit, dumping ground for unwanted Nuclear waste and holiday destination for Asia.We have to stop this now for our kids sake.
Its time we stated thinking of our own kids and jobs for them. In a small country like ours "Tariffs" are very important., the level playing field is acrock of sh.t. "RIP" Holden and all the best to the not only Holden Workers, but the firms that supported them.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Maybe the government would have been better advised to spend the subsidy dollars buying Holden back from GM and selling the enterprise to local interests and I'm sure that business would have been viable, even for a relatively small market. ....

Holden was never for sale, it was for closing.
If it had been owned by Oz share holders it may have had a chance, but that was never the case.
Even that Belgium bloke who wanted to buy it was given no chance by GM. It was reported that his meeting with GM execs lasted about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

gazpep

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline auto
The government could have taken a leadership position and negotiated a buy back with GM. It's not surprising that GM wouldn't have been interested in some random fellow wanting to buy it. It needed a government initiative, Federal and State to put forward a sensible plan whereby GM could divest the manufacturing element whilst maintaining a market presence in Australia. The plant in SA along with the basic engineering capacity could have been onsold by the government to local interests. There is still a market for larger RWD cars in Australia and although declining it still represented a nice chunk of the total passenger car sales.
It's called 'national interest', meekly watching the last of that industry close down is plain short sighted.

BOOF308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 2008
I'm not sure how to explain the way I feel. Watching Bathurst as a small child ( 42 now) and instantly became a holden lover. May also be because my father had a red HQ SS with the black stripes. Got my first Holden a day after getting my P's a 5.0L 84 Vk SL which I still have in the garage with plenty spent on it. My current Holden is the VF series 2 Redline Ute and I'll keep both for ever. Also not that it will make an once of difference I sent corporate GM a nice Email today explaining what I thought. I'm not good at explaining things but I feel like a huge part of my life has disappeared.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
The FOOLS of Channel seven NEWS called the Redline a ARE LINE. FOOLS Of Channel seven, You don't even know our Countries Manufacturers cars

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Don't get me wrong I don't like our pollies and they don't do anywhere enough for this country and its people. But the closing of Holden was all from GM America it would not change this fact no matter how much money or tarrifs and tax cut they gave them GM was stopping us from manufacturing great cars.
The yanks hate the fact we made better V8 cars then they could. So our blame should be at GM and we should not be buying the US crap they want to send us.
Such a sad day we lost a true Aussie in Holden.
I still love- football,meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars
It's a widely held view Maloo37. But, is there any substantive evidence?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
New World Order-Gov't only done what the masters told them.
Our future seems to be as a mining pit, dumping ground for unwanted Nuclear waste and holiday destination for Asia.We have to stop this now for our kids sake.
Its time we stated thinking of our own kids and jobs for them. In a small country like ours "Tariffs" are very important., the level playing field is acrock of sh.t. "RIP" Holden and all the best to the not only Holden Workers, but the firms that supported them.
Spot on!