Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Classic Cars

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
My very first car was a Nissan 120Y 2 door , lime green with vinyl roof , a classic by today's standards , but in 1988 it was not the case at all , if I could find one of those in decent nick now , I snatch it up it a heart beat .

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
At one time I had a HK Kingswood, a HK Premier and a HK Brougham. Would love to have any one of them now especially the Brougham.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Been in one great car

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I joined the classic car crowd last year, and that was driven by nostalgia.

My first three cars in turn were all Triumphs, starting with a 1965 Triumph 12/50 manual sedan in 1971, a 1969 Triumph 2000 manual sedan in 1972, and finally a 1972 Triumph 2.5PI manual sedan in 1974.

In those times, I was driving around 30,000 + miles a year, so the odometer ran up quickly. The last passed on in 1977 when I bought the first Honda Accord in Australia.

The Triumphs had what we would in this day and age call character - mainly to justify any problems that we may have encountered. That was especially the case with the 2.5PI.

In early retirement, I started to look for meaningful (my word, not my wife's) things to occupy my time. I now have two historic cars, and am a member of a historic car club. My vehicles are a 1970 Triumph 2000 auto that has been upgraded to the 2500 manual with electronic overdrive, and a 1977 2500S manual. I have been surprised at how easy it is to source parts for them, and how my hobby does not cost a whole lot.

Since there were only 288 12/50's like mine made in the world, I sort of wish that I had kept mine. I notice a couple of coupes (of which only 144 were made) on Ebay, but the asking price in five figures is more than I am willing to pay. Maybe one day.

If you have an interest in old machinery, I would recommend that you look into classic cars, particularly if you live in one of those states that allow private use through a logbook system. My club, the Standard and Triumph Car Club of NSW, has proven to be a most enjoyable membership.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My idea of a classic car is a car which required to be driven with full concentration.....ie no ABS, traction control, air bags and alikes.....The idea of being able to trouble shoot and fix it on the side of the road is another attraction for me.

Currently owing 7 cars, with the youngest being made in 1984, the thrill of finding parts also plays a part in the owner ship of such old cars.....

I enjoy comments made by people saying things like "you don't see many of these anymore", or "I used to have one of these" and sometimes the surprise they get when you are interstate with an older car, with them saying "where are you from" and "did you drive this all that way with this car".

Maybe one day VN's and alikes will get the same attention, but for the thought of computers in cars controlling various things will never appeal

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
My very first car was a Nissan 120Y 2 door , lime green with vinyl roof , a classic by today's standards , but in 1988 it was not the case at all , if I could find one of those in decent nick now , I snatch it up it a heart beat .

Worth a bit too. Have seen a couple of mint, original 120Ys advertised for A10k.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When I see what classic Holden's fetch these days, I weep. How's this for a list?

FB Special Sedan
HD Premier
EH Special
HR Premier
HG 253 GTS Monaro with Saginaw 4 speed.
HT Premier. Originally 307 Powerglide uprated to 327 and Saginaw four speed
HZ 253 Premier
HT 350 GTS with Turbo 350 auto (4 year restoration during late 80's.)

If only I had a couple of those still parked in my garage.......

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
The way I see it is at least you had the chance to own/drive them at one point in your life. For someone younger like me, as much as I love my HQ and my VC I'll probably never get the chance to own/justify the cost to own an a HK/T/G/Q Monaro and such.....Lucky I have a few mates with em so can get a ride every now and again.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I was just thinking even though a car from the year 2000 is still 'plastic bumpered' - so much is different.

Then - Audio CD player if you were lucky, but probably a cassette deck. Now - Android/Apple Car Play. In my Mazda3 I can search through ipod playlists on the entertainment unit itself. The VT has console storage for CDs and cassettes. The original tape deck had an auxiliary input, but only presumably so you could play your Discman, as the ipod hadn't been invented yet.

Then - 147kw from 3.8L (38.6kw/L). How (VF Commodore) 185kw from 3L. Fuel economy down from 11.3>8.3 L/100km.
Then - 4spd transmission Now 6spd transmission with tip-shift.
Then- Single airbag. Now - 6 airbags, stability control, ABS

I was just thinking that like we might see true 'classics' has having chrome bumpers, the next generation might see true classics as manuals with cassette decks, wind up windows and steel wheels......

H

harrop.senator

My favourite classic cars dont have steel bumpers so depends on how you look at it. And unfortunately i dread the day but yes one day a vt will be a classic lol.