Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking/clunking

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV -Redline, Herron White.
Ok, so ive had this noise coming from my front end for awhile but have just noticed over the past few days that its ALOT worse when my aircon is turned on.
When i turn my steering wheel almost full lock to the right there is a clicking/clunking sort of noise, similar to the noise the aircon compressor makes when you switch it on, except louder.
It doesnt do it when turning left though, only right. I first noticed it when i was going around corners, and today was when i was reversing out of my driveway.
I sat in my driveway and turned the wheel all the way right with the aircon on and it did it, then turned it back to centre, turned off aircon, full lock right, nothing, very ODD.
Any ideas????

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Running air con puts a fair bit of pressure on the pulleys and harmonic balancer, and moreso when power steer is full lock, check everything the belt runs on.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
How are your bushes looking? Drive around with your aircon off for a couple of days and see if you can pinpoint the noise.weather it's to do with your aircon, suspension, engine or something else could try getting someone to turn your wheel back and forth while you closely listen around your front end to see where it's coming from.

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i tried that before i realised about the aircon, im sure its coming from the power steering rack, but why would the aircon being on make it worse?

TOMCAT85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so heres an update, i was going round a roundabout on saturday night and something snapped, long story short it was the passenger side Sway link bar. Anyway had a mate put new ones in yesterday, after removing the broken one we looked at the sheared end and its slightly weathered on the end, leaving us to believe that its been slowly shearing off for awhil. Anyway after taking it for a test drive i checked to see if it was still making this noise, and low and behold not a sound, even with the aircon turned on. Very weird indeed, but obviously the bracket on the side of the spring where the link bar attaches was slowly shearing the bar away and that was the noise.
I had no sounds at all for about 20 mins, and thought finally lol, then it started making the original noise from before i changed the bushes a few months back, like a slight knocking when going over slight bumps in the road lol bloody commodores lol

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
Sorry to revive an old thread. Any luck on what this was I've been searching and this is the closest thing I've found to my problem, exactly the same but in a vs stato, was there a resolution at the end?