Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk noise from the back

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
I have a 85 VK When im moving and step on the gas there is a clunk noise coming from the diff i think.... I tested it by stepping on and off while moving and the clunk noise keeps coming everytime i step on the gas.

can anyone help me with this? Do i need a new diff??
if so how much would a diff cost?
thanks

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
First of all check out your tailshaft, makes ure your universal joints are ok and dont have any wear.
Second check out the tailshaft centre bearing for movement.
Finally if they check outwith the gearbox in Neutral twist the tailshaft back and forth if there is excessive movement at the diff flange you might be up for having the diff shimmed or at worst a new diff.
Finally if those check out look for worn rear suspension bushed they can also cause the clunk your refering to.
Finally after all that if you still havent been successful check for a rear brakeshoe that may have come loose

cheers
Scott

vk_wagon

my vk on equus 20's
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 84 on 20's
scbh81 said:
I have a 85 VK When im moving and step on the gas there is a clunk noise coming from the diff i think.... I tested it by stepping on and off while moving and the clunk noise keeps coming everytime i step on the gas.

can anyone help me with this? Do i need a new diff??
if so how much would a diff cost?
thanks
try checking that the tailshaft bolts are tight i had a problem with mine coming loose all of the time