Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore engine differnces HELP

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Hi, I have an Adventra v6 (may 06) with a rooted motor.My garage have fitted a sH motor from a 04 commodore(alloytec) and changed all necessary componentry but its messing about .

original motor details :VZ8VM35-155
Vin:6G1ZM84746L827147
ENG ; LY 6

new motor details;10 H7AH043420476
VIN:6G1ZK54795L381872
3.6 alloytec '04

I have read that this new engine is only 172 kw where my adventra was 190,they changed all the electrics,sump etc ,everything the said and still no good.it is running but we are getting warning lights and power lose galore .The inlet manifolds are noticibly different and if the second engine is only the smaller KW (remember its an 04 engine)then am I right in saying that it will not have variable timing on inlet and exhaust ?
Is the basic engine the same ?even though they look different ?

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
They changed a VZ aloytec to a VR-VY Ecotec? Take it back and tell em to fix it

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Variable exhaust timing is on all, however, the 175kW version didn't have it on the intake.
There should be a black box at the rear of the manifold with a plug going into it (variable flapper)

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Wasnt the 190kw engine only in the SV6, and obviously the Adventra.

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Wasnt the 190kw engine only in the SV6, and obviously the Adventra.

Yeah but didn't the engines change at the start of 06 also , wasn't the adventra only 188kw ?
I don't know what diff that makes

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
The 190 alloytec was always 190kw. The 175 changed to 172 I think in 06 due to euro 3 emissions. The torque eating dropped for both engines in 06.

The 190kw engine has variable valve timing on intake and exhaust cams, as well as variable intake manifold length. The 175kw engine does not have variable valve timing on the intake Nor does it have variable intake manifold length.
The alloytec is very fussy when it comes to engine transplants due to the ecu matching of the engines.
Take the car back as you need the exact same engine number from the same year (euro2 vs euro3 emissions).

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
The 190 alloytec was always 190kw. The 175 changed to 172 I think in 06 due to euro 3 emissions. The torque eating dropped for both engines in 06.

The 190kw engine has variable valve timing on intake and exhaust cams, as well as variable intake manifold length. The 175kw engine does not have variable valve timing on the intake Nor does it have variable intake manifold length.
The alloytec is very fussy when it comes to engine transplants due to the ecu matching of the engines.
Take the car back as you need the exact same engine number from the same year (euro2 vs euro3 emissions).

Thanks for your reply
So , you reckon the engine I got is 190 kw ? Have you experienced such dramas before?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Well if the manifold was different I would say its the wrong engine. I haven't had these problems but have heard of them from vcm Australia

jakvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder
Vz 175 has vvt only on the intake not on the exhaust side

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Vz 175 has vvt only on the intake not on the exhaust side

I am unsure what KW the second engine is .
My mechanic maintains even though the manifolds are different the basic engine is the same , what we need to know is what the differences are for me to be able to prove to him , otherwise I just get the same answer " it's not the engine they are the same , Take it somewhere else we are doing nothing more to it " I've spent over $5500 at this stage never mind having no car for months .

Last edited: