Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore engine differnces HELP

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
your original engine was a series 2 ly7 190 kw, now they fitted a series 1 engine, not to sure what needs to be changed but i thought it needs all the computer **** as well to work, not sure some one will give the correct answer here, maybe give holden spare parts a call, you never know what info they can give you, or even holmart

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Wasnt the 190kw engine only in the SV6, and obviously the Adventra.

I just checked , an 06 v6 adventra is not 190 kw but 188 kw

We changed all the electrics sump etc but we are still to establish if a basic '04 alloy tech engine is the same as a 06 adventra engine , am I missing something ?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Vvt as said is different. 175 alloytecs only have 2 cam position sensors, the 190 has 4 cam position sensors

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Vvt as said is different. 175 alloytecs only have 2 cam position sensors, the 190 has 4 cam position sensors

I follow what your saying but assuming my new engine is 190 kw (it is 04)and my old engine is 188 according to spec , and it's 2006 ) is the sponsors the same ?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I'm not sure hey, one thing I do know is that the cam sensors themselves are different between the 04 and 06 models.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Engine numbers need to match up for it to work as youve said, engine numbers are different, just say ur old motor was a hbd those numbers and letters need to match up to the second hand motor, i had to swap out a mates alloytec and never had any problems when it cAme to turning it over for the first time

Maitland

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
The 190 alloytec was always 190kw. The 175 changed to 172 I think in 06 due to euro 3 emissions. The torque eating dropped for both engines in 06.

The 190kw engine has variable valve timing on intake and exhaust cams, as well as variable intake manifold length. The 175kw engine does not have variable valve timing on the intake Nor does it have variable intake manifold length.
The alloytec is very fussy when it comes to engine transplants due to the ecu matching of the engines.
Take the car back as you need the exact same engine number from the same year (euro2 vs euro3 emissions).

I may be finally getting to thE bottom of this, thanks to you lot on here.
I've just got the details of the second engine, my original is a euro 3 and the replacement is a euro 2 emmisision , can anything be changed on the replacement to make it work ?
But apparently the cam sensors are still different !!

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Difference in the euro missions is 4 o2 sensors imstead of 2 o2 sensors