Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore low speed fan on all the time?

dakaise

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore Executive
I recently purchased a 99 Commodore VT Executive, auto, v6, etc..

The low speed fan relay was missing when I bought it, and i bought one and put it in.. I now see why the relay was missing - it stays on all the time.

The high speed fan operates properly, turning on when it gets hot or when the a/c is on. It cycles normally as far as I can tell.

However the low speed fan stays on all the time, even after the car is shut off.

From my searching in the forums, I gather it might be two things - either a bad ecm, or a bad coolant temperature sensor. Does this sound like a fair diagnosis? The temp. gauge on the dash works properly, and I recall reading that there are separate sensors for the gauge and the fans....

Any advice?? I don't want to pour too much money into it.

:bang:

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Check fault codes - check engine light for coolant temp sensor failure or similar.

If you unplug the sensor wiring then start the car (with it cold ideally) after 6 seconds the low speed fan should come on then 12 seconds later, the high speed fan if the fan circuit is working correctly according to the gregory's.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Yes like alex2_s says the relay if working the low speed fan should come on in 6 seconds and then high speed in 12 seconds, if not then you may of gotten the relay around the wrong way check the contacts, if not then try replacing the fan it might be stuffed.

dakaise

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore Executive
Ok will try pulling the sensor wire. I am not in doubt of my skills yet, so I'll hold off on the mechanic right now, but reserve the right to at future times :)

Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
No need to replace the fan as it is working. :thumbsup:

yeah thats a last resort replacing the fan but the relay is probably the cause of it, its probably really dodgy and keeps sticking i had one of those had to replace it...

cabbo3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
hey mate ive got the same problem at the moment with the same model car i actually rang an auto elec an he said the relay is probly wrong ,i got the old original relay an the new one i brought an he was right the 30 pin on the relay is in the wrong spot this is the earth pin but im still having troubles finding the right relay they look the same and fit in but all the pins a numbered an all the ones have the 30 and 86 pin in the wrong spot does anyone know what is the correct relay model i need ???

vorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlia
i had the same problem about a mouth ago, I changed the relay with one from autobarn and still had the problem.
Still convinced it was the relay i went to holden to get the genuine one, and have not had a problem since.
i would have thought that the genuine one would cost more, but they were both the same price. Yet the autobarn relay did not fix the problem

( TYCO model no. V2314-K55-X406 92092444)

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
The correct Genuine radiator low fan relay is

part # 92092445.

vorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlia
The correct Genuine radiator low fan relay is

part # 92092445.

92092444 is the one that i have, that was given to me by holden. the guy

even looked it up on the computer. the old one i had was a siemens 92050455,

but he couldnt fine that one. so i told him it was for the low speed fan and he

gave me that one.