Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore sliding out in wet.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Correct worst case, but you should be able to lock them whenever it's needed. But not normal driving/ stopping

If you can't either brakes are underrated and/or pads are incorrect.

Driving 2 different styles of car, one with ABS, one without, I found when I had an emergency brake scenario, I found I initially hit the pedal hard with the ABS equipped car and immediately reduced brake pedal pressure because of the weird feeling within the brake pedal...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Tried to get the ABS to work with my VC and all that happened was my brakes locked up.... :)

To me, people are relying on technology too much to get them out of trouble, and this is another example.

And yes, people are going to say I'm full of it, I don't know what I'm on about it etc etc, but that's how I see it...
Ideally people should be driving with enough caution to never need any of the modern tech, but you should probably know how to use it in the event that you do need it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I want to rip the modern tech out of my car. Put the tech in a neat pile and burn it. Then drive off in a car modified to suit a driver, not a bloody moron.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I want to rip the modern tech out of my car. Put the tech in a neat pile and burn it. Then drive off in a car modified to suit a driver, not a bloody moron.
I can see the case for stuff like ABS, traction control and stability control as they basically only intervene in a brown trousers moment and otherwise have no bearing on you driving the car.

Lane departure warnings/assistance, autonomous braking, etc are just stupid because it’s encouraging people to pay less attention to what they are doing. A computer shouldn’t be assisting you to pilot a two tonne vehicle down the road.

I see it as analogous to hypothetically waving a gun around that had autonomous “bad guy recognition”. But it’s ok, it’ll only shoot at you if you’re a bad guy! :rolleyes:

You should always be 100% in control of the vehicle as it’s 100% your responsibility and autonomous systems shouldn’t exist to factually remove some of that responsibility. John Cadogan just did a good video on this exact thing.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When we are driving along a road and within the lanes, I will feel gentle tugs on the steering wheel of the car keeping it in lanes that don’t exist. This seems most common in road works or where there are two different road surfaces within the lane. Like old and new road.

I figured out the issue we had when the car stopped itself as we pulled out from a parallel park. Had to put it into park, then drive. Car was half out on the road. Dangerous stuff. Watching Ronny Dahl’s review of a Ranger, he mentioned how off road, to turn off park assist because the car will brake itself a very low speed based on what it’s sensors perceive the situation to be. However the human driver read a totally different story.

I had park assist on in that situation because it gives an above view of the car and the obstacles around it. Even though I was going to clear the car in front (and did eventually) it braked the car against my control. Had we been hit by a Camry driver not paying attention while I got the car to move again, would Hyundai be willing to say their systems contributed to a situation where an accident occurred? No. If these systems can be disabled, it’s an opt out, not opt in. Get in the car and do a preflight check on an F-18 is what things are becoming like. So many distractions for a driver.

It should be just get in. Seat belt on. Start car. Then observe surroundings and situation. Move off.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have never been able to test the ABS in my cars, probably because I don't hit them hard enough to test them.

The only experience was an emergency brake, swerve and recover in a Toyota Kluger / Highlander in NZ, (forgotten where) when an oncoming car decided to try a RH turn at multi-lane green traffic lights. I could feel the ABS and ESC kick in, very effective, and 10 seconds later considered myself lucky not to have cleaned up a car, if had been next to me on the LH side, and not had a head-on with the F'wit who then had stopped in the lane that I was in a couple of seconds before.
Technology like this is a life saver. Nanny beeps and chimes and steering wheel vibrations at white lines are not.

But .......... back to sliding in the wet ................. a 5.0 VN with LSD and good quality Yokohamas needed care pulling away from traffic lights in the wet to avoid any sideways embarrassment.
Unable to test abs ? Seriously, just count 1,2,3 and stomp on the brakes. Imagine a child ran out in front of your car. You wouldn't be thinking about braking gently.
ABS should not be activating with normal traffic light style braking. But stomp on it when nobody is behind you and you will see how it works.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I just recently bought a VY commodore. At the start, I’ll admit, I didn’t have much experience driving commodores. Not long after I got my P’s I was driving in town after some heavy rain on a hot day. I went to make a right turn around a round about and embarrassed myself by having my car slide out. I have absolutely no desire for skids whatsoever. But I noticed, I could physically feel a change in my car. The second I put my foot on the accelerator gently to continue going straight, my car was still sliding around and didn’t feel the same. I learnt my lesson to drive extra careful in the rain. However, the roads were slightly wet tonight and I was stopping at a red light, I did hit the brakes a little harder than usual and I felt the brake pedal start to shake and my car started to slide, I just assumed it was because I was braking a little to hard. Until the light turned green and I slightly put my foot on the accelerator, my car once again just didn’t feel right and started sliding and kind of gliding through the water? It wouldn’t stop until I had to (very slowly) pull over, turn my ignition off and start my car again. I hope this makes some kind of sense as I am clueless with these things but any help would be much appreciated as I don’t want to actually fully lose control of my car and have something serious happen.
Now I haven't read all the responses to this thread, but have you checked the codes for TC faults etc?

BUT if it's a driving issue thats at play here.....if you are 21 and are having issues controlling your car in the wet, you should go back and re-sit your learner hours with a responsible adult.

Even if you had a 50 year old Kingswood on near bald pre-radial tyres with no ABS, no TC etc.....you still shouldn't be "losing control" of your vehicle unless your physically trying to get it to step out, even in a monsoon.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Get in the car and do a preflight check on an F-18 is what things are becoming like. So many distractions for a driver.
F-18s are obsolete 1980s tech, like 2010s VEs.
From what I have read, the JSF / F-35s would be unflyable, if it wasn't for the 10,000 computers in them.
To be closely followed by over-the-air updates to your latest and greatest computer on wheels, which will extinguish any desire and ability to drive a car in an 'enthusiastic and spirited' manner.
It should be just get in. Seat belt on. Start car. Then observe surroundings and situation. Move off.
How simple, but you forgot ....... unplug electric charging connection, check mobile phone for latest social media comments, program satnav for supermarket 3Km away, 1 Litre plastic water bottle (full) in cup holder of choice, check rear view mirrors for make-up application (all genders).

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My ADHD pisses me off. Sitting here trying to enjoy a coffee & some crazy old guy is singing to himself.
If there's one thing we cannot tolerate, it's distractions. We love our silence.
Wow, must have had a really tough day at the office, now your posting what pissed me off in the slide out thread.