Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore sliding out in wet.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
In general driving how often do you active the abs?
With a good condition car, never.
With an ill maintained bald tyre jalopy - too often!

I tested abs on my car before I purchased it. And in 10+ years I don't think it has activated (on the road) ever again.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
With a good condition car, never.
With an ill maintained bald tyre jalopy - too often!

I tested abs on my car before I purchased it. And in 10+ years I don't think it has activated (on the road) ever again.
Everyone should test their ABS so that A) you make sure it actually works in an emergency and B) you know what to expect when you activate it.

I’d be interested to know how many people have crashed because they either didn’t press the brake pedal hard enough to activate the ABS or they lifted off when they felt the pulsing from the brakes because they thought something was wrong.

I’d be willing to bet it’s a non-negligible amount as the vast majority of people these days have no idea how a car actually works.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I tested abs on my car before I purchased it. And in 10+ years I don't think it has activated (on the road) ever again
Thats what Im getting at if you can bring the abs on regularly you are the moron in the dunger

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I think it's the opposite, if the brakes don't grab hard enough to activate abs when needed, they are not adequate.

Every since upgrading my brakes, I can lock the brakes to kick abs in. Stops quicker and allows control at the same time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I had a great hill I used to test ABS on, now they've put a fixed speed camera on that spot :(

I tested the ABS on the Calais on our street, braked hard enough to get oil surge and have the oil light come on but the ABS didn't. I did back off though when I saw the oil light. Take note not to test the brakes when the oil level on the dip stick is at the add mark....

The thing you will find though is that you will hit the brake a lot harder in an emergency situation than even under spirited driving or brake testing conditions.

If you want to test the ABS best to do it on a wet road somewhere where there is plenty of room to slide/run off etc.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think it's the opposite, if the brakes don't grab hard enough to activate abs when needed, they are not adequate.

Every since upgrading my brakes, I can lock the brakes to kick abs in. Stops quicker and allows control at the same time.
NAhh. OEM would never set a car up like that. Brake lockup/ABS should be a worst case scenario only.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
mine definitely works on the Berlina. feels like the brakes are about to fall off, but it does the job. best solution is to avoid tailgating in on the freeway, especially in heavy traffic.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
NAhh. OEM would never set a car up like that. Brake lockup/ABS should be a worst case scenario only.
Correct worst case, but you should be able to lock them whenever it's needed. But not normal driving/ stopping

If you can't either brakes are underrated and/or pads are incorrect.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The thing you will find though is that you will hit the brake a lot harder in an emergency situation than even under spirited driving or brake testing conditions.
I have never been able to test the ABS in my cars, probably because I don't hit them hard enough to test them.

The only experience was an emergency brake, swerve and recover in a Toyota Kluger / Highlander in NZ, (forgotten where) when an oncoming car decided to try a RH turn at multi-lane green traffic lights. I could feel the ABS and ESC kick in, very effective, and 10 seconds later considered myself lucky not to have cleaned up a car, if had been next to me on the LH side, and not had a head-on with the F'wit who then had stopped in the lane that I was in a couple of seconds before.
Technology like this is a life saver. Nanny beeps and chimes and steering wheel vibrations at white lines are not.

But .......... back to sliding in the wet ................. a 5.0 VN with LSD and good quality Yokohamas needed care pulling away from traffic lights in the wet to avoid any sideways embarrassment.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Everyone should test their ABS so that A) you make sure it actually works in an emergency and B) you know what to expect when you activate it.

I’d be interested to know how many people have crashed because they either didn’t press the brake pedal hard enough to activate the ABS or they lifted off when they felt the pulsing from the brakes because they thought something was wrong.

I’d be willing to bet it’s a non-negligible amount as the vast majority of people these days have no idea how a car actually works.

Tried to get the ABS to work with my VC and all that happened was my brakes locked up.... :)

To me, people are relying on technology too much to get them out of trouble, and this is another example.

And yes, people are going to say I'm full of it, I don't know what I'm on about it etc etc, but that's how I see it...

Last edited: