Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to a VN Calais dash

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
You should be smart enough to figure it out urself, I did mine when i was 15 without any problems.....

Put both clusters down, An map the 4th plug, easy as piss !!!!!!!!

Read which wire goes where from the PCB

Cheers
MaT

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
stocky said:
why dont people get it. these diagrams were fine for my VN. maybe the later 1991 model VNs had a different wiring loom, but these diagrams worked

You say these diagrams were fine for your VN (Pre 91/Series II) but what I was saying is I have a pre 91 SI VN and the diagram was not exactly the same, thats all, so I was trying to re itterate to people that just because its a Series I VN doesnt mean that all the wires will match up exactly the same.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Don't just draw a map of the 4th connector, map all the connectors as some are different and need to be moved to another location.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
FXST01 said:
Don't just draw a map of the 4th connector, map all the connectors as some are different and need to be moved to another location.

If that's true, explain why mines been fine for the for the passed 2years......

Cheers
MaT

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Originally Posted by FXST01

HoZy said:
If that's true, explain why mines been fine for the for the passed 2years......

Cheers
MaT

See the magic word in my sentence:

some
adj.
1. Being an unspecified number or quantity: Some people came into the room. Would you like some sugar?
2. Being a portion or an unspecified number or quantity of a whole or group: He likes some modern scupture but not all.
3. Being a considerable number or quantity: She has been directing films for some years now.
4. Unknown or unspecified by name: Some man called.
5. Logic. Being part and perhaps all of a class.
6. Informal. Remarkable: She is some skier.

pron.
1. An indefinite or unspecified number or portion: We took some of the books to the auction.
2. An indefinite additional quantity: did the assigned work and then some.

adv.
1. Approximately; about: Some 40 people attended the rally.
2. Informal. Somewhat: some tired.

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
Yes, I think that by now, we all know that their will be cases where a vn calais dash will go straight in without the need to move pins around on the rear connectors.
The reason people are saying to check is because obviously others (including myself) realised that we had to change a few pins around for it to work, and its good that you done yours at the age of 15, but it probably would of been more impressive if you had done it at the age of 85.
Anyone can wire up a dash following the pin assignments, diagrams, and labels etc etc. No one here is claiming to be extra smart, its meant to be advice to people who don't really know what they are doing.

Good Luck With Your Conversions People

PS: I done the blue led conversion the other day and visual mods to my calais dash, will post the pics up soon.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
lsprewell said:
PS: I done the blue led conversion the other day and visual mods to my calais dash, will post the pics up soon.

Can't wait to see the blue LED mod.

Cheers
MaT

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
OK... i just completed this one and i have some things to add......:

1. Dont start this mod with the intention that everything will go perfectly and you'll have it done before you have to leave for work... its takes hours not minutes. Approx. 3. Thats fully complete.

2. You dont have to remove you dash. Just the surround and fuse access panel.

3. When you have removed your cluster, you will notice the 3 Connectors.
TAKE NOTE: When siting in drivers seat looking at dash, the connectors are in this order: ([1] ------ [2] -- [3] )

4. I only had to remove and alter connectors 2 and 3. Not 1. I have a Series II VN.

5. To remove these connectors... Stick your hand up behind them (Through the fuse area) and squeeze the retaining clips together.... push outwards. Then using a small flat head screwdriver, leaver the 2 side clips off and pull the other two clips outwards. Slide backing plate off. Pull backing plate then connecotr through. This takes some creativity and patients.

6. The pins for each connector are as follows... TAKE NOTE OF THIS (coudl save you hours.... aZk is a fool sometimes)

Looking at the connoector... as it would be in the dash:

7. When you plug it back in, if you try to test your lights, you MUST have your dimmer switch plugged in. This could also save you hours of re-soldering the same illumination wire becasue you think that you've stuffed up somewhere.

8. The Stage III cluster can be used without the 4th Connetor, however, it will not display any information in the LCD panels and the ODO (odometer) will not work. This is illegal.

9. When you plug everything back in... you will notice you odo XXXXXXXX will be constatnly on. THis is normal, it does not turn off. Dont try for hours to work out why. It is just this way.

10. When splicing your wires, Use hookup wire to extend the connections so its not as hard to solder and manuver... Take your time also as they are short wires and mistakes can be made.

11. The ECU wire is discribed as being in a connecor YBXX, ignore this and splice it exactly from the ECU main input loom. (Connector in bottom of ECU)

12. The Wires were all the right colours for a VN SII according to the included diagrams.

13. If you try to start your car after installing ECU wire and it all goes black... you've done something wrong... yes, it happened!

14. The Stage III will work without the trip comp buttons, i know cos i dont have any yet! You just cant cycle through the modes.

15. Get all the soldering right the first time and double check eveerything before you put connectors and dashes back in... its annoying to have to pull it all out again! (oh say 17times)

16. Cover every join you make... terminate everything.

17. Thats it kids. Cant think of anything else as of yet! Good luck. Its not that hard and it can be done right the first quickly....

Special thanx to Stocky and Hozy.... Both got alot of pm's and msn time.

Good luck!

aZk.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
:) Congrats aZk

Cheers
MaT