Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cooling system, overheating, i've replaced almost everything Help!!

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
nathan read a little further up, I have replaced the radiator already. Just waiting for the mechanic to call with the news. And no i have never cooked the engine, always stopped just before 3/4's to make sure i don't overcook it. Just over it all, after spending so much money replacing the whole cooling system, i am strapped for cash and as i live in a regional town going without a car even for a few days is not an option.

ah sorry, know exactly how you feel mate. I'm the same, you can't get anywhere in regional towns without a car! good luck with it mate hope you sort it out.

s-pack_a_punch

selling myself 4 $15G ono
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II S Pack Manual
two things to help... when you bleed the system, make sure your interior heater is on hot. also check if a new radiator cap is the problem... after driving it, feel the top of the engine... if it is not overly hot then there may be air stuck in your system which was held in the heater core or the block. just my 2 cents. start with the cheapest things first then work up!

Miss_BB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Ok, got the bad news from the mechanics, its official, I've blown a head gasket. Been told anywhere up to $1500 to get it fixed depending on how much needs to get done to fix it. Got told don't drive the car, they are going to put it in on fri and do it over the weekend. Get it dropped off to me monday morning. Now i just need to find the $1500.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. At least i now have a car with a new cooling system.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You'd have thought he would have unscrewed a sparkplug to check (as we suggested)......logical. Sorry to hear this was the problem and I'm sure good times are coming.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Gonna get burned for this, but have you heard of chemi weld. Will probably solve you issue for less then $50 temporarily. Enough so that if you would rather put $1500 to a new car, it would buy you some time.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Gonna get burned for this, but have you heard of chemi weld. Will probably solve you issue for less then $50 temporarily. Enough so that if you would rather put $1500 to a new car, it would buy you some time.

Gah. I hate that stuff, but in this instance is an option.

You could also try 'seal well' cubes. They work like chemi weld but it doesn't set like 100year old concrete.

If you're keeping it I'd use seal well, if you're selling it I'd use chemi weld.

Whales

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Series 3 Ute, manual. Hz Pano 5.0L injected
Exactly same thing happened to me and I replaced everything then got my mechanic mate to have a look at it and he flat out said blown head gasket.... Lucky for me all I have to pay for is the gaskets and to have the heads looked at (about 80 a head).... I am lucky who I know and have my work ute but I feel so sorry for u. Good luck!

Ms Bodhi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Help!!! Saw this thread and can relate because I too have replaced EVERYTHING and my 95 v6 VS is still getting too hot. To date I have replaced with new,

Radiator Cap, Radiator, top and bottom radiator hoses, water pump, fan, thermo fan switch, fan relays, temp sender, temp sensor, thermostat, had the instrument gauge cluster repaired and the BCM module!!! I think that about covers it...
There is no water in the oil, I check the fluid levels in both the radiator and the resevoir every day and they are full and then after 20 min it gets to halfway and then slowly climbs, get to a set of lights and it will come down a fraction, sometimes a whole bar, then as I start driving again it slowly climbs, when I get to work (25 min from my home) its hovering at the last bar before hot.

I have been assured that its operating at 94deg but its completely stressing me out.

I know it got bled because I was standing there watching it happen, especially after we just replaced the radiator 2 days ago, but I can still hear a rushing water sound behind the dash when I took off yesterday morning and this morning that lasted for most of the journey. When I came home last night, it still happened but just didn't go as high as there wasn't as much traffic on the road....

Any suggestions as to what could be causing it to overheat would be greatly appreciated because I'm running out of theories and money :(

It used to just sit below halfway until the top radiator hose got replaced and its never been the same for the last 3 months...

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
Check you leads dude. I had the some problem. I changed my leads and it started to kick in in at 1/2 :D