Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise it or don't cruise it + what's overdrive?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi there guys,

I'd like to know how to drive my car with optimum fuel economy and with the least wear on engine and transmission. My current VZ Exec (175 kw, 4 speed auto GM4L60) is my first car and I don't quite understand everything about it... yet.

The town I live in usually has quiet roads, so I set my cruise control at the speed limit - 60 km/h. However, the transmission goes back into 3rd when I do this. When driving normally with no cruise control on at that speed, transmission stays in highest gear.

So... why does it shift down to 3rd when in cruise? I thought lower revs = less fuel. Does it improve fuel economy? Should I only use cruise when on the highway, 80+ km/h since it does select highest gear when above 70 km/h.

I'd also like to know... what's overdrive for exactly? Is it 4th gear, or something else?

Last edited:

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
i know that over drive is basicaly for towing or "sports gear"

but cruise i dunno i would like to know also

Hi there guys,

I'd like to know how to drive my car with optimum fuel economy and with the least wear on engine and transmission. My current VZ Exec (175 kw, 4 speed auto GM4L60) is my first car and I don't quite understand everything about it... yet.

The town I live in usually has quiet roads, so I set my cruise control at the speed limit - 60 km/h. However, the transmission goes back into 3rd when I do this. When driving normally with no cruise control on at that speed, transmission stays in highest gear.

So... why does it shift down to 3rd when in cruise? I thought lower revs = less fuel. Does it improve fuel economy? Should I only use cruise when on the highway, 80+ km/h since it does select highest gear when above 70 km/h.

I'd also like to know... what's overdrive for exactly? Is it 4th gear, or something else?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey Arthur, are you trying to blow up OP's gearbox ?
Overdrive is NOT for sports or towing. It has very little power due to the high ratio, and should be used only for cruising.

Hey we are about to go up a big hill .... better gear up lol NO i don't think so.

Its a good question by the Stig tho, personally i don't like using 4th at low speed 60 - 80 as its always dropping back to third when you touch the gas. When i'm going through hills i drop it back to 3rd, engine and box both seem happier that way. Over 80 its top gear all the way.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Overdrive is NOT for sports or towing. It has very little power due to the high ratio, and should be used only for cruising.

Hey we are about to go up a big hill .... better gear up lol NO i don't think so.

Its a good question by the Stig tho, personally i don't like using 4th at low speed 60 - 80 as its always dropping back to third when you touch the gas. When i'm going through hills i drop it back to 3rd, engine and box both seem happier that way. Over 80 its top gear all the way.

I'm just assuming that the engine and auto gearbox know what they're doing. Why else would it drop back to 3rd when cruising at low speed?

It just occured to me that the case might be because the car is trying to maintain the set speed. See if I don't use cruise and maintain my throttle position, the car will still have very minor changes in speed due to the constantly changing slope of the terrain. By using cruise, the car will maintain that speed without straining the OD by going back into 3rd.

I'm also assuming, the less the fuel consumption, the happier the engine and transmission. What I believe supports my theory is: when car is idling, fuel consumption increases significantly... and we all know long idling is not good for your car.

Now with my driving style, I'm getting 10.8 - 10.9 L/100 km between city and highway driving. City: 60km/h, highway: 80km/h. I'm going to try with cruise off in the city so it stays in 4th, and see how the fuel consumption goes.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Overdrive is a term used to describe a mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine speed, leading to better fuel consumption, lower noise and lower wear.

Thanks Wikipedia.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
ah ok fe thnx for clarifying

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I drive my car in 3rd (or white D) all the time if its 70 or under (suburban, hills ect)
So do all the blokes at the local automatic transmission place.
Overdrive basically means the torque convertor locks up and becomes a solid coupling, not a fluid coupling, eliminating torque convertor slip. It's used for cruising only.
The reason your cruise is keeping the trans in 3rd gear is because at 60kph in third, the engine is at its optimum efficiency. Yeh, low revs is better, but engage 4th at 60 and the engine will labour( too low revs), which wastes fuel and strains the motor. So for best efficiency, drive it in 3rd until around 70-80kph then select "D". Theoretically it saves fuel and wear on both engine and trans.

Only proof i have got to support this is that 1) I relay this from a transmission re-builder
2) dad and i have always driven the car like this and the trans oil has never been burnt or discoloured

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
does third gear ever lock up if the stick is held at 3? iv just noticed that when putting round town and get into an 80km zone, accelerate to kick it back to 2nd then slip into 3rd, and then it feels like it locks down into another gear, but its still 3rd, is that the converter locking up or something else?

car in question is a VX V6 auto.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
It may drive in third at low speed with cruise on, due to the fact that the auto has three modes; Normal shift, Power shift and Cruise mode, which automatically tells the auto when the cruise is activated.
Not sure exactly what it changes, but might be what makes the auto want to run in a lower gear with cruise activated.
I use cruise ALL THE TIME in any speed zone and don't really take much notice of what gear it's in other than noticing I have to be doing over 80 km/h before it will change up to fourth, which I think might be the 'overdrive.'

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
does third gear ever lock up if the stick is held at 3? iv just noticed that when putting round town and get into an 80km zone, accelerate to kick it back to 2nd then slip into 3rd, and then it feels like it locks down into another gear, but its still 3rd, is that the converter locking up or something else?

car in question is a VX V6 auto.

Funny that, mine also does it when i strike 90 in white'D' - or 3rd on your box. (same box different sticker essentially).
maybe its half-lockup? got me beat.