Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Design for my air intake. Any good?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
immortality see i dont even believe about the puddle thing aswell. unless the surface of the water that gets splashed up there entirely covers the surface area of the pipe and stays covering the entire pipe which is running vertically up theres no way it could suck water up, it would be like putting a vacuum cleaner on a glass of water, unless it forms an air tight vacuum it wont be able to suck the water up.

care to test that theory. i'd rather play it safe then sorry with that regard. having said that. a few times when it'be been raining hard i've not been to carefull and not ever had any issues. if you follow the link in my sig you'll see some pics of my setup in the first post

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
haha i wouldnt like to physically test it but im sure my freind can physics test it. i honestly think that it would be too much of an issue with water, to get around it i can always put a downward u-bend so any water that gets in there for any reason will sit at like a sump down the bottom. i could always fit it with a plug to release any water they may or may not have pooled there.

im gonna get started on mocking up an air box next week (going away for cup weekend) once thats mocked up ill be able to measure out and fit the piping.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
immortality see i dont even believe about the puddle thing aswell. unless the surface of the water that gets splashed up there entirely covers the surface area of the pipe and stays covering the entire pipe which is running vertically up theres no way it could suck water up, it would be like putting a vacuum cleaner on a glass of water, unless it forms an air tight vacuum it wont be able to suck the water up.

Now you drop a stone or some kind of weight in that glass of water and see where the water ends up. I bet it ends up in the vac.
If you are driving along and hit a puddle and the mouth on the intake is submerged in the water no matter how much it will take in the water.
You are correct in you analigy (spelling pff lol) with the vac but that is standing still.

In saying that your system seems to me like it would work fine. The only point I would make is as Stocky has said. The air flow. is there a way to makie it more free flowing. eg: removing the 90 deg bend.
I have tried to make my own CAI still not finished yet

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/115230-modified-cai-5ltr.html

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
my question is how on earth is water going to travel that far vertically up a pipe, then manage to get through the air filter, (ultimately near impossible).

And then ultimately make it through the intake manifold without evaporating?.....

WTH people...!!

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
my old man is running a cold air intake from under the radiator and has been for about the last 15 years at least, and hasnt run into any troubles about water entering the intake, but this is on a hg wagon, not a commodore.

it works pretty well too.

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
awesome. hopefully ill have it done by next week or so. ill take pics along the way and post it all up when im done

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
awesome. hopefully ill have it done by next week or so. ill take pics along the way and post it all up when im done

I think you main problem will be finding places to anchor it.. so its not all floppy **** in your engine bay...

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
gonna use pvc and secure mount it. hard to explain but it should be sweet.

anyways

UPDATE NUMBER 2
ive mocked up the air box, it fits like a glove. gonna start to prepping up holes to cut it up for the CAI hose and engine intake hose, also gonna start drilling mount holes so its firm.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 199

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
hi all i just read this stupid thread (as it is to me) i got to six posts and just started my own so i might be off track by now

for 1 take battery off for 1 houre com reset
for 2 pod filters are ****
for 3 do the same as in the pics on page 1 cut a hole in the air box to the wheel
then use a k&n high flow panel filter

my commy has the bigest hole you can get in the air box all it dose with the restricta out(in the 3.8) is gives it more wheel spin it dose not go any faster

any one that sez a pod filter makes there car go faster is on drugs and should not be listend to

if you want some real advice then start a thread on how to build my engine

this is how you make real power or you can buy some turbos and actually get rid of the vaccume in the maniflod and pistons which is how engines should be

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
No one says a pod makes your car faster. It CAN provide better throttle response though. That doesn't mean your car goes faster, it just means the throttle is more responsive.

Pod filters are good when used in the right set up. I used one on my old car in a front bar set up. Worked great.