Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I certainly don't miss the days of riding an hour to work, on an ER 185, pouring rain, lights that shine about 2m in front starting work at 1am and 2deg.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Update, got a clutch cable on the bike, so thats all gravy again.
Slowly unpacking the back of the truck. Lots of good stuff there, and double ups of some stuff too.
Trying to find the flexplate so I can bolt the engine and trans together.
I've got a girling 1" boosted master cylinder with it (single output) which has broken reservoir. I'm wondering if my old boosted 15/16 dual master from the VR would work. But part of me remembers something about disc and drum m/cyls being different in design. Thoughts?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Cool Landy look forward to the thread. Remember my Grandad had one with a 202 in it that went pretty well.

Fairly sure disc/drum master cylinders differ a little, as a general guide disc type hold more fluid and the drum have the residual valves

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Update, got a clutch cable on the bike, so thats all gravy again.
Slowly unpacking the back of the truck. Lots of good stuff there, and double ups of some stuff too.
Trying to find the flexplate so I can bolt the engine and trans together.
I've got a girling 1" boosted master cylinder with it (single output) which has broken reservoir. I'm wondering if my old boosted 15/16 dual master from the VR would work. But part of me remembers something about disc and drum m/cyls being different in design. Thoughts?

Got a VK 15/16" rear drum braked equipped master cylinder on my disc braked rear ended VC commodore....That M/C has been on for 5 years....The previous 5 years, I was running an 1"bore M/C from a VK

The rear brake pads were 10 years old and I got hold of better rear pads, so I swapped them out only 2 months ago (give or take a couple of weeks)....The old pads still had at least 1/2 pad thickness left.......Kay wise....Not sure, but at least 30,000K...(being conservative too)....So I'll leave you decide whether the M/C's are different or not.....

Finally, VR's only ever came with disc braked rears too....Drum braked rears stopped with the introduction of the VN Commodore

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeap, my VR is disc all around. Drum m/cyl has residual pressure valve. So if I use disc m/cyl I will probably need to get drum adjustment spot on, or the pedal will have a long travel before engagement.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know if an XJ Jeep MC would work but they have drum rear. I might even have one, along with the booster unless I sent it to the scrap metal yard.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Can't do a disc brake conversion on the rear ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What rear axle does the Landy run, Dana 44?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
They come with either a Rover, ENV or Salisbury rear axle. Rover front axle, and this one has 11inch drums all round.
I'll probably just rebuild the stock m/cyl.

On another note degreased some horrible stuff, fitted upper splash guard and flexplate to back of motor. Worked out how engine mounts and mount brackets go. Now just need an engine crane to get motor fitted.
After that I'll try and get the transmission bolted to engine, rear trans mount sorted and then finishing drivetrain should be easy after that.