Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between SS and VE SV6

VE_SS2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Hi guys, I am wondering what is the difference between a VE SS and a VE SV6 (other than the engine of course). I am planing on doing an engine swap anyways and the SV6 is cheaper but just wondering if there is any other major differences.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I am planing on doing an engine swap
just wondering if there is any other major differences.
If you mean the differences that count to get get an LS to work, they might as well be two completely different cars. Realistically it's a job that's only worth doing with a complete donor car/wreck.

Do a search, been covered heaps.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Driveline, I believe the brakes are slightly bigger on the v8 models, wiring harness is different between the 2

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll need a donor car. Good luck finding one of those at the moment. Harnesses are different, computers and linking various systems will require specialized tools.

Dropping a V8 in one is not what it used to be with HT’s, HQ’s and the old VB-VL or even VN VP. The modern (well I guess CANbus is old tech now) CANbus networks in the VE and even in VZ make engine swaps a complicated process.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think he wants to go from v8 to v6? His ride says ve, ss commodore. He also says "v6 are cheaper".
He’s going to do fkn what!?
1640679400727.jpeg

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Lots of posts from people wanting to buy a V6 (because cheaper at the moment) and convert later.

For me, "Normal" VE/VFs will come back down. Current prices aren't sustainable once new cars are more available post Covid shortages.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lots of posts from people wanting to buy a V6 (because cheaper at the moment) and convert later.

For me, "Normal" VE/VFs will come back down. Current prices aren't sustainable once new cars are more available post Covid shortages.
It’s not COVID shortages. It’s a shortage of computer parts which started before COVID.