Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
does that include the pinion gear aswell? I have to confirm my diff as I think I have both a 78 in car (which lsd is not the greatest and a vt supacharged 6 diff, which I think maybe a 3.07?) was planning on dumping the lsd out of the s/c diff and throwing it in my diff in car and getting rid of the old diff but want to swap in a new set of gears aswell.

Hi Mate,

Gears are from a 6 cyl VL (BW78) and will fit and BW78 from VL to VT series 1.

I'll part with em for $150

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
The diff is a 3.07 from the s/c and my orginal diff in car should be a 3.08 right? so ones a 78 and ones a 80, but both have 4 bolt flanges not donut flanges

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, crown wheel and pinion, they are machined as a set so you should never separate or mix sets unless you want a really noisy diff that won't last long.

What model VT? 3.07 standard diff ratio would indicate that it's a BW80 diff so you would be looking for some 3.46 gears (standard in VT series 2 onward LS V8 with T56 manual trans).

The factory LSD can be rebuilt, depending on where you are I would recommend Steelie Gears, I've used him before and he does good work.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Yeah, crown wheel and pinion, they are machined as a set so you should never separate or mix sets unless you want a really noisy diff that won't last long.

What model VT? 3.07 standard diff ratio would indicate that it's a BW80 diff so you would be looking for some 3.46 gears (standard in VT series 2 onward LS V8 with T56 manual trans).

The factory LSD can be rebuilt, depending on where you are I would recommend Steelie Gears, I've used him before and he does good work.

The m80 is in the s/c 6 diff. The senator is a series 1 so m78. Will the LSD from the 80 go into the 78 shell? And I'll need to find some gears from a manual ls for the 3.46 right? Unless I keep my diff thats under there and buy your set off you? Been to steelie before. Doesn't seem bad!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BW 78 and 80 aren't interchangeable (but it is possible to fit the entire 80 diff assembly into the earlier model cars). In reality I don't think that there is anything wrong with the 78, they are plenty strong and there are a couple that have lived under the rear of 9 second cars.

The advantage of the BW80 diff is that the Eaton truetrac centres can be bought from the US a LOT cheaper than you will get one for the 78 but if your happy to go with a properly tightened factory LSD then that isn't a problem.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
quick question would it be possible to put a 3.27 falcon 7.8 crown and pinion into a VN V8 borgwarner lsd 28 spline....ive heard the pinion on the 7.8 is shorter then the 7.5 pinion by about 2mm if so could you space out the bearing from the gear to cater for the 2mm?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be fine. The early BW diff used in the VK were the BW75 and the gear sets/centres are interchangeable with the later BW78 diffs found in the VL-VS models.

I do believe that some early HSV models did come out with 3.23 gear sets.

Having said that, going from a 3.08 to a 3.27 ratio will make about 100rpm difference.

13timbob31

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a 98' v.s holden v.6 ute it has a lsd but doesn't behave like on when its off stands, after reading ur post I tried to find a harrop/eaton 28 spline "early" true trac center but I want to use PayPal to purchase one but I couldn't see that option for there websites so I started looking around and found only 31 spline "early"true trac if any one has one to sell or know of were I can go to get one the way I need too please advise, also my brother seems to think that dropping the oil out, flushing it with diesel, emptying it then putting new oi in might bring it back to life any thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Fiorentesteem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Holden Esteem 97
So my VS static diff (trailing) can't be removed and exchanged for the VS Calias IRS I have sitting in carport?