Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

digital speedo out

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
My VE Berlina showed 2kph less on the digital display than the needle when I got it. Recently, I had the cluster changed (unrelated fault with one of the windows flickering) and both needle/digital are now exactly the same!?! My SV6 shows 2 kph faster on the dial than the digital display. As an experiment, I set cruise control at 113kph on the needle (111 on the digital) and reset the trip computer. After 40k's, the average speed was displayed as 109kph... go figure that one! And as for a 10% variance allowed under the ADR... pffft! That's bollocks coz when you get pulled over, I doubt very much that excuse will fly...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
My VE Berlina showed 2kph less on the digital display than the needle when I got it. Recently, I had the cluster changed (unrelated fault with one of the windows flickering) and both needle/digital are now exactly the same!?! My SV6 shows 2 kph faster on the dial than the digital display. As an experiment, I set cruise control at 113kph on the needle (111 on the digital) and reset the trip computer. After 40k's, the average speed was displayed as 109kph... go figure that one! And as for a 10% variance allowed under the ADR... pffft! That's bollocks coz when you get pulled over, I doubt very much that excuse will fly...

If you're pulled over, it means your speedo would actually be reading MORE than what you'd be booked for (by up to 10%) - unless you're driving an ex NSW police wrx. They were binned as the speedos went the other way and a whole bunch of fines were paid back! haha

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)

10% is still less than 5kp/hr isnt it? any more than four excluding fixed permanent cameras is a ticket i think now they allow less than 10% 2010 onwards i thin now its 8% but unsure if its a motor builders/manufactures enforced law or not!~

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
interesting maybe the dial is more accurate??

i never really squint at the dials, but I do know my electronic speedo is 4kms slower than it should be at 60kms/h

Ill have to check out the dial tomorrow

if anything i would have thought the electronic one be more accurate :S

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
I always thought the police gave 5-10km/h lee way on multanovas because of this until i got a 75$ fine for 2km/h over

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
The police give you 2kph for inaccuracy of the radar gun and 2kph for the inaccuracy of your car I know because I copped a fine last year from a highway patrol in Victoria.
And my digital speedo is exactly 4kph under at speed according to my GPS and the highway speed checks.

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
I would venture to say it is your dial that is out of whack, not your digital speed.

I have noticed also that the GPS unit I use indicates I am 4kms/h under the car speedo. Having unwittingly tested this by doing 115km/h on car speedo past some bacon roasting behind some bushes, I theorised one of two things;

1. My speed is 4 clicks under what it displays, and the GPS unit is correct.

2. The bacon didn't bite because they're waiting for a 120+ (more revenue and points) - this to me is more logical, so I usually don't risk going off GPS units.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
hello all
this thread had me on a mission
i've tested a mazda 2, ford mondeo, ve omega
all three were 6km/hr out according to an extremely accurate speed tester i had acess to
BUT
they all read higher than actual speed by 6km/hr
AND
at 20km/hr OR LESS they read perfectly

so it either a software issue OR its deliberate.....

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
for those that dont have gps (or are concerned as to its reliability)...

do a speedo test next time you are on a hwy and see the 5km sign things.... or use google earth to accurately plot a 5km section using easily identifiable landmarks like overpasses or off ramps. either way, once you have your NICE AND FLAT 5km 'test track' (to avoid cruise control dropping speed), you'll need 2 things.... a stop watch and a passenger. google earth is a terrific resource and is more than accurate enough for this exercise.

1) before your start line, get up to 110km/h (or whatever the speed limit is) and set the cruise control. take careful note of what the digital speedo says, and also what the actual speedo says.

2) get the passenger to hold a stop watch and also make sure they are prepared with a fixed point on the car that they can refer to when looking from their seated position and the starting point outside. what I mean is in order to be accurate, their eyes and seating postion must be the same from start to finish... head resting against head rest, and their eyes fixed so they are gazing past a fixed point (like the side mirror or edge of the front windscreen) so when they pass the start and end points, that point passes this fixed point on the car.

3) as soon as the passenger sees the start point on the fixed point of the car, start the stop watch. if you want to test your trip meter at the same time- do so. dont try and reset on the fly however, just note the exact reading on it when passenger starts watch.

4) as soon as the passenger see the end point on the fixed point of the car, stop the stop watch (and if you did so to start, note exact reading on trip trip meter to see if it actually recorded 5km exactly).

5) provided your passenger was quick on the trigger and kept their reference points accurately (and your 5km distance was accurate), you'll have an exact time for 5km travelled.

Car travels 5km in "x" minutes and seconds.
You need "x" to be exactly 1 hour, to give you km per hour.
1 hour is 60min, or 3600 seconds.
If it took you 3 minutes exactly, that's 180 seconds.
3600/180= 20
5km x 20 = gives you your speed, in this case 100km/h ACTUAL SPEED.

Here's some working examples:

3min and 3.25 seconds recorded on the stop watch = 183.25 seconds. 3600/183.25= 19.645293 x 5km = 98.23km/h (compare this to what the digital and dial speedo was telling you during the test, and see which- if any, was accurate)

2min and 57.75 seconds recorded on the stop watch = 177.75 seconds. 3600/177.25= 20.253164 x 5km = 101.27km/h (compare this to what the digital and dial speedo was telling you during the test, and see which- if any, was accurate)

The main things are a) your 5km distance is accurate (using your trip meter is no good because that's what you are testing and suspect to be inaccurate), and b) your passenger is spot on with their 3 line of reference points (their eyes, the fixed point on the car, and the start/end points) hence why you cant do it yourself- you need to concentrate on the road).

But the above method will most definitely give you an accurate speed measurement (and also if your odometer and trip meter is reading fast or slow), which you can then compare to what both speedo's (and if available your GPS) is telling you.

Last edited: