Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Window Tint

hutch892

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH V8 Statesman, VXII S, VT SC Berlina
I did mine myself and after doing it would definitely recommend having it done professionally. Getting the heat shrinking right takes a bit of practice.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
I dont know who is charging you $500 to tint a VY sedan (assuming from your 'my ride' is what you got), but that is just highway robbery!
For starters, steer clear of that first link you posted mate. Besides the fact that any film that cheap, will be exactly that (CHEAP!), they obviously have no idea how tint works! They are claiming their 'dark' 75% film is darker than their 35% hahaha
Film readings work by the VLT rating (Visible Light Transmittance) which is the amount of natural light that is able to pass through the window once its been tinted. So the lower the %, the darker the tint is. If they cant understand the simple fundamentals of how the stuff even works, i wouldnt trust their product more than I would trust an epileptic sufferer to hold my nans priceless ming vase! Oh, and the legal limit is 35%.
Ive tinted professionally for over 10 years, and I must admit, ive seen some really dodgy home jobs. BUT, with a lot of patience, attention to detail and persistence, there is no reason why you couldn't do a job that you will be happy with. Having said that, I recommend getting it done by a qualified and experienced tinter. To save the heartache, and if they are good enough and take pride in their work, you will be happy with a flawless job that you know will last a long time.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I got my hj done for less than $300 with a lifetime warrenty at tint a car. They charge more for the older cars, there's more work involved.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
No one is. The OP states:
I did notice the guesstimate he made, I was merely offering a rhetorical statement to the exorbitant amount suggested for such services... but thanks for the highlighting ;)

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
did my ss myself, came out alright but wouldnt do it again and i had someone else do the rear window as i completely stuffed it

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Just a tip.
Whatever it take's, Pay the extra to get the lifetime warranty, Just piece of mind.
And make sure the lifetime warranty covers all like peeling, bubbling, fading ect (read the fine print)

I live in qld so we get pretty hot here so when i looked at tint prices and it was only an extra $50 for 3M with full lifetime warranty i thought there is no question!

1 year later tiny small bubbles started to slightly appear so i took it right back and they replaced the tint on the rear windscreen no worries at all!

Also, When you get you're windows done, Dont use windex or simmluar yo clean the inside, Go and spend the $$ on the proper AFTERMARKET tint window cleaner, Some clean both aftermarket & factory tint and some only do factory tint so make sure to get the aftermarket stuff

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
so 3M quoted me,

"To tint your vehicle with CS Black would be $400.00 including GST and for Crystalline 40 it would be $650.00. We can give a $50.00 discount to RAC Roadside Assist members taking the price down to $350.00 for 3M CS Black and $600.00 for 3M Crystalline 40 including GST."