Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
Thought I’d post a quick note to describe my recent engine issues- vz alloytec 3.6 with about 207,000k
Was way down on power, running rough and check powertrain was coming on all the time especially if I tried to apply any force or go up a hill too quick. Fuel economy had gone off the chart.
After talking to a mechanic and reading this forum I came to the conclusion that everything pointed to a stretched chain and either $2-$3k for a mechanic or $5-600 for a kit and do it myself.
I did a full service- oil, plugs, fuel filter, air filter and even ran it on 98 for a few tanks and ran injector cleaner
- but still an issue!!!
Being short of funds I ran around town for a few months like this before the solution came: I bought a cheap obd2 device which pointed at number 4 cylinder. I went to a pull your own part wreckers yard and for $20 got a second hand coil pack ( Later Bosch not Denso type).
The beauty of number 4 coil pack is you can get to it without removing the manifold so right in the carpark I had it swapped in under five minutes and the engine was back to absolutely smooth normal full power operation.
So am delighted that I don’t have to do the chain just yet.
Lesson is: don’t always assume the worst and obd devices are worth their weight in gold.