Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downgrade - SSV Redline to SS

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've owned both FE2 and FE3 Utes and when puttering around I couldn't tell the difference and when pushed both are crap.

But what do you expect when the ride height is like this from the factory.

2 IMG_3050a.jpg

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Won't notice unless on a track most likely

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
i havent driven an SS yet. ive driven 2x series 2 redline utes now, one auto and one manual. both felt like they had shocking body roll and wanted to oversteer. The 2000-2004 model BMW coupes ive owned cornered far far better which is a worry. yes i know the ute can carry 700kgs ( or 5 fat passengers) on the back but we are talking 15 years of technical progression in suspension since a E46 coupe
Comparing a BMW coupe to a ute. Yeah ok.
The Chevy SS sedan (FE3) has been tested and compared against the E39 M5 and outperformed it. Old Yes, but considered the benchmark. Until now.
Body roll doesn't necessarily mean poor handling by the way.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Comparing a BMW coupe to a ute. Yeah ok.
The Chevy SS sedan (FE3) has been tested and compared against the E39 M5 and outperformed it. Old Yes, but considered the benchmark. Until now.
Body roll doesn't necessarily mean poor handling by the way.

Cuda you're right as it depends on how much lean compared to how fast you’re going.

At similar speeds my BMW has a firm factory ride which when cornering makes me feel more connected to the road compared to my VF2 Commodore where Holden has compromised more towards the comfort side over connection.

There is nothing wrong with that until you start to push the vehicle hard then that roll starts to slow the car's reaction time when changing direction and eats away at your confidence in its road holding ability.

At a very basic improvement level, lowering the ride height (the centre of gravity) with proper damping and spring rates is a good way to start decreasing that roll and speeding things up for when you get into the twisty bits.

I should also add we all have different degrees to what we believe is comfortable and when you experience well setup suspension packages you do notice more the limitations of some of the factory systems.

Last edited:

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
I ordered my VF2 SS Wagon after test driving SS v SSVR back to back on average roads under the same conditions I would use the car. I decided they both handled like a 2 tonne wagon so I got the cheaper one !

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i havent driven an SS yet. ive driven 2x series 2 redline utes now, one auto and one manual. both felt like they had shocking body roll and wanted to oversteer. The 2000-2004 model BMW coupes ive owned cornered far far better which is a worry. yes i know the ute can carry 700kgs ( or 5 fat passengers) on the back but we are talking 15 years of technical progression in suspension since a E46 coupe
i know both the BMW and the ute have two doors but the similarities end their. Its like comparing a plane and a helicopter, both fly but with different intentions/purpose.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
in terms of actual track performance, verified lap times around the ‘Ring, the VF Redline Ute is a closer to a BMW Z8 E52, Alpina B3 Biturbo Coupe, 1 Series M Coupe, Alpina B6 S. Of course it’s the fastest commercial vehicle around the Green Hell.
How does your coupe compare to those models?

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I ordered my VF2 SS Wagon after test driving SS v SSVR back to back on average roads under the same conditions I would use the car. I decided they both handled like a 2 tonne wagon so I got the cheaper one !

I like that way of thinking, I was after a redline but hate leather/ head hit the roof(stupid sunroof) so the SS was a easy choice for me to.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I've owned both FE2 and FE3 Utes and when puttering around I couldn't tell the difference and when pushed both are crap.

But what do you expect when the ride height is like this from the factory.

View attachment 193689

stop driving a 4x4 ute panhead (lol) still like it
as most have said revised springs, shocks, bars can fix most