Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driveshaft problems anyone?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I got my VZ back from service a couple of days ago. Straight out of the service center, the whole car was rumbling and vibrating at speeds of 60 - 80 kph. Noticed the tyres had been rotated, rotated them back again, reduced tyre pressure from the 40 they had set to 35. Less drama this time, but still noticable vibration.

Thought this must have something to do with the driveshaft (probably misalignment), since they had replaced a bearing during the service. Took the car back and complained about the problem. After a day they called and said that the cross-joint of the driveshaft was damaged, and I would need a new driveshaft.

What's going on here?? How could this problem have suddenly showed up like this?? Before servicing the car was driving as smooth as silk at any speed. Now that they've replaced this bearing, this vibration shows up??

Another thing that concerns me is after picking up the car after road-test, I found the volume had been adjusted to nearly full blast on my CD player... forgive me for thinking this but I believe my car was abused during this "road-test"...

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
What bearing was replaced?

Also I would not give that particular service centre my business anymore. Obviously incompetent.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
What bearing was replaced?

Not sure, except that it was a bearing on the driveshaft. The guys said the bearing was broken and needed a replacement.

Was this a Holden Service Centre? I took my SS to Holden once. Never again.

It's a GM service center in the Middle East, same thing I suppose. If you don't service it at Holden, where else can you get it serviced? Or do you guys service your cars by yourselves?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Probably the centre point bearing.

Bet they have damaged something or not installed the shaft correctly. Get a second opinion.

I service my own vehicle. Exactly because of the problem you have - poor service and bull.

tooslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY MALOO SII SUBARU LIBERTY B5 WAGON
plus i service my own car too and yeah you better off starting to learn how to service your own car at least you no that you did it right and you will save money too

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The middle slip joint in the newer model driveshafts is prone to wearing out very quickly and holden dont stock/supply replacement parts, only complete driveshafts assemblies so thats all they can sell

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi fellas, there's a good chance it might be a handbrake shoe causing all this vibration. I was driving along today and heard a slight squecking sound. Dad was with me and pointed out that it definetely must be the one of the brake shoes of the handbrake rubbing against the inner wall of the drum.

Before service, the handbrake would only lock one wheel. Also the brake shoes had been changed quite a long time before this service. After fixing the problem and getting both wheels to lock, this shows up. Probably because of uneven wear of the brake shoes, since one of them was never actually used due the locking fault. Will be taking it to GM tomorrow... hope that ends the problem.