Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual battery or capacitor setup ideas??

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thats incredible!
So not only did you have one of the loudest sedans EVER in Australia or New Zealand, but you did it off less than 1000watts!
Did the windscreen break too?

record was around 156+dbl, which in the grand scheme of things, I was miles off!! did really well for the setup i had though. no, nothing silly like windscreen damage, haha :)
I think i was just really lucky with my combo, and atmospheric temp/pressure on the day,
years later done another comp, but had heaps of problems on the day and didnt even crack 140.

some days it goes your way, some days it doesnt.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
record was around 156+dbl, which in the grand scheme of things, I was miles off!! did really well for the setup i had though. no, nothing silly like windscreen damage, haha :)

In case you didn't get it... I think you're full of **** :beer chug:

years later done another comp, but had heaps of problems on the day and didnt even crack 140.

That sounds a lot more like it...

MayhemOfHell

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8 LS1
I would agree here as well.. a cap.. is a band-aid fix... a good battery fixes this in itself..
Thinks like CCA rating will also help here as its the amount of Amps she can output while starting... and will affect your overall system

As people have labelled it.. the Big 3..
First of a good battery, yellow top or so on.. If your battery has the capacity,,, well a cap aint needed....
Alternator... well this depends on the way your setup works.. As a single battery which is of a good capacity may resolve your issue and by doing this you "may" not need a dual battery.. the alternator is only going to affect the charging side of it... Yes a good alternator will help with the extra current draw but at the end of the day the battery is your main bank and takes the load... Eg... does your car stall when you have it running from the alternator without the battery while everything is at full load... deep loud base with the screen on..

Dual battery, well i will never say its a bad idea as this will simply save your a jumpstart at the simplest point... I would still suggest trying to get everything running of the one battery and the second one purely be a backup for a just incase moment.

dont forget to checkout places like JayCar for battery Isolators

Personal Experience - Running car computers / 5.1 surround sound 240v amps / monitors / and so on

Side Questions: The monitor itself, is that running via a inverter? Does it use a DC pack.. eg 7 to 48 volts? if so, try to replace the inverter setup with a DC-DC step up transformer. This is why the car computers i run use a straight 12v dc power supply.. No need to step upto 240v analog from 12v dc only to have the devices like a PSU using a 12v dc max..

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
In case you didn't get it... I think you're full of **** :beer chug:

Fair Enough bro, i'm not so concerned with what you think, maybe the company that was running the comp were cheating in my favour without me knowing or something, either way i won a prize. (unfortunately it's wasn't beer :beer chug:)
but it was too loud for everyday driving and was always turned down so as to not over power the music, hence why it is not in the V8, and now sits in the corner of the garage doin nothin!

That sounds a lot more like it...

what you runnin?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I don't think that's really relevant, I'm not the one making nonsense claims.

I was just interested as to what you have built?
If i was lied to about my score on the day and didn't know it, thats not my fault. as far as i was aware it was valid and truthful.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I was just interested as to what you have built?
If i was lied to about my score on the day and didn't know it, thats not my fault. as far as i was aware it was valid and truthful.

who metered it? what was the meter?

I'm guessing it wasn't a termlab, which means the score is pretty much invalid.

sorry.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
who metered it? what was the meter?

I'm guessing it wasn't a termlab, which means the score is pretty much invalid.

sorry.

it was back in 2005 i think, so cannot remember what tester they used, sat on a long stick on a platform, final distance was xyz inch from windscreen.
so yeah, maybe score was "pretty much invalid"

dammit, now i wanna install the whole system in the V8 and get it tested FOR REAL! so i know what it is really capable of.
maybe after the stroker block goes in i mite get around to it.

thanks for your input. (a beer would still be nice though)

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
in the boot of a commodore, it would be even less :p

who metered it?

put it this way... the setup in this WRX that they were claiming to do 150.2dB!
Rapid Radio - High Octane Overboost - YouTube

actually did 135.2dB on the termlab meter...

the meter they used in the video has a calibration knob, you can basically set it to read whatever you want, the numbers it shows are almost meaningless unless its been calibrated to something else.

Sorry for saying you were full of ****.
Its good to see you can accept that not all SPL meters are the same, and that the numbers you were told it did were most likely not correct :beer chug:

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
In case you didn't get it... I think you're full of **** :beer chug:.

Why do you constantly feel the need to create arguments?
Start a new thread for your bloody bickering and get back on topic here.