Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic Park Brake (EPB)

Bradvfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
What system does the EPB use, cable or motor on caliper? Can it be adjusted?

When I activate the EPB there is a delay until it holds and I can take my foot off the brake pedal and shift to Park.
If I miss time it, the gear lever needs more force to select out of Park.

Thanks

Last edited:

mtw002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 Ute
Yea that means that the weight of the car is on the tranny. And not on the park brake.

Good habits say the car should sit on the handbrake in neutral, without the foot brake applied, before shifted into park.
Better for the box that way,

Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yeah agree with mtw002. The best practice for the tranny would be to shift to neutral first, apply the park brake and wait for it to be fully engaged and then shift to park. All with your foot on the brake.

That's a bit of a PITA though so if in my F-Series when parking, I am stopped in drive or reverse (foot on brake), apply park brake and wait for full engagement then shift to park. If you focus on waiting for that full engagement your shift out of park again later will always be fine.

But what you're currently shouldn't damage anything if the Americans are anything to go by! :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Is there any adjustment to the EPB to speed up full engagement?

Nope - it's now a motorized process probably with a torque sensor to know when it's fully engaged. Won't ever be as quick as yanking up a handle yourself. But it really isn't that long and if you just leave your foot on the brake pedal at the same time as engaging the park brake, shifting to park, undoing your seatbelt and opening the door then stepping out you'll be fine and avoid your (really tiny) issue.

Hell, just apply the park break with your foot still on the brake pedal and then shift to park and it'll be enough of a delay. It's probably just a small habit change of park brake brake first then shift to park, rather than shift to park then park break.

Meh. You should be able to work this out.

lacks creativity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Manual
This new park brake takes some to adjust to it when doing hill starts in a manual, hold it up when releasing the clutch and increase the revs the car will chime at you to release the handbrake and away you go, I still dont like it as much as a normal handbrake but eh, it does the job.

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
This new park brake takes some to adjust to it when doing hill starts in a manual, hold it up when releasing the clutch and increase the revs the car will chime at you to release the handbrake and away you go, I still dont like it as much as a normal handbrake but eh, it does the job.

Not sure if it's on all VF manuals (it's certainly on the redline) but did you know that the car has hill start assist? Hold the car on the footbrake on a hill and the system holds the car for a couple of seconds or so as you come off the brake - means that you can drive smoothly away without having any great clutch control issues.

Alternatively you can have the park brake on and when you're ready, simply into gear and drive away and the park brake releases - again, all very smooth.

Holding the park brake up like you suggest simply fools the system and really isn't needed.

yianni127

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS UTE
Same with my manual SS. On a hill or slope, foot on brake, release and holds for a few seconds so you can engage the clutch and not roll back. I love that feature

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Same on the auto. Works brilliantly. The features on the VF are smart. We just need to learn them and then adapt our driving to suit. There is really no situation were I bother releasing the park brake (i.e. pushing the button down). The car does it for you.

Lacks C,

Even if you were trying to use the park brake on a hill start as you suggest, you wouldn't hold the button up? it would simply be a case of pushing the button as you start to release the clutch???

lacks creativity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Manual
Ok guys, I have know about the ability to just drive off and the basic hill start assist, which I have no issue with on the smaller hills

ive tried it on a very step hill, my parents drive way is 35 degree angle and I attempted to reverse up the hill start and i was not comfortable as I am when I hold the button up and yes it is hold the button up and it will keep the brake on, it will chime and display to release it on the dash.