Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Parking Brake Issue

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I always work on the rear 1 side at a time for various reasons. It is much safer IMO as the car can't 'fall over' or roll away. Worst that can happen is the 1 stand somehow slips out, and that's still going to cause big issues of course. This method also means working on 1 wheel at a time so you can only bugger up 1 corner at a time if you get something wrong.

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Was updating my post as you typed yours.

so look up… don’t look up... look up :p
Yeah just watched a YouTube video of someone doing the same, Jacking it from the diff and then putting the jack stands under the rear jacking points, might just need to find a mate with a flat driveway or pull up to the local Bunnings carpark, grab a snag and crack on with it :D

If I only did one side at a time, would a single jack stand rated for 1000kg be fine? I see most say "rated for 2000kg as a pair"
Am I going to still be able to spin the wheel/rotor freely with only one side jacked to check when its been adjusted enough (if its not seized)

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Hand brake shoes shouldn't wear much at all in the lifetime of the car as they only contact the drum statically unlike an old drum rear brake's rotational friction. In the event the shoes were excessively worn, they'd likely run out of adjustment.

I don't know of any cheap scan tools that have the park brake reset function, most cheap ones for reading and clearing codes probably don't. Personally, I've only done hand brake resets with the GM diagnostic system.
From what I've read with the way these EPB systems work, more often people drive off with it engaged and let it do the "auto EPB release" and this places more wear on the parking shoe over time

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
From what I've read with the way these EPB systems work, more often people drive off with it engaged and let it do the "auto EPB release" and this places more wear on the parking shoe over time
Given how lazy a lot of people are I shouldn't be surprised by that.
I've even had a few people tell me recently that they don't bother using their handbrake any more. I always tell them they're Fkn idiots.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I always work on the rear 1 side at a time for various reasons. It is much safer IMO as the car can't 'fall over' or roll away. Worst that can happen is the 1 stand somehow slips out, and that's still going to cause big issues of course. This method also means working on 1 wheel at a time so you can only bugger up 1 corner at a time if you get something wrong.
That will work if you have a standard diff and not an LSD.
LSD Commodores need both rear wheels off the ground to check the 'drag' from the park brake adjustment.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah just watched a YouTube video of someone doing the same, Jacking it from the diff and then putting the jack stands under the rear jacking points, might just need to find a mate with a flat driveway or pull up to the local Bunnings carpark, grab a snag and crack on with it :D

If I only did one side at a time, would a single jack stand rated for 1000kg be fine? I see most say "rated for 2000kg as a pair"
Am I going to still be able to spin the wheel/rotor freely with only one side jacked to check when its been adjusted enough (if its not seized)
This is getting scary now, where in Adelaide are you mate?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

First time I drove a VF (hire car), I got stopped for a RBT.
After the pleasantries, I just drove away forgetting about the 'handbrake'.
When I realised what I had done, I asked my passenger mate about it, and he said it disengaged automatically.

What a stupid idea :( A handbrake / parking brake is supposed to stop unintended /accidental movement of the vehicle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What a stupid idea :( A handbrake / parking brake is supposed to stop unintended /accidental movement of the vehicle.
I don’t like EPB’s and much prefers the old mechanical level and cables that go directly to the rear drums/discs. No chance of the driver getting confused when you can look down and see a level that’s still pulled up. No chance of the car rolling away unless the driver actively releases the handbrake.

However auto disengagement of EPB isn’t completely dumb if it only disengages under very specific conditions. For example, for the handbrake to release the car must be in Drive and the operator must have their foot pressing on the main brake pedal, then the operator must take their foot off brake pedal and press the accelerator pedal within a given short time frame, only then should the park brake release. Don’t know whether our commodores are that ridged as I always manually apply and release the handbrake button.

And if a car operator does anything in an incorrect sequence, then the hand brake shouldn’t release and the car should tell you “hand brake.. hand brake.. hand brake…“ because I hate beeps since they aren’t intuitive.

But I prefer 100% control of my vehicle that I drive rather than predetermined logic defining how I can drive or worse still the car takes over the control… so from that perspective, most modern features are stupid ideas (self park, self drive., auto lane departure control, auto collision/pedestrian braking, auto reverse brake, etc).

About the only smart smart features I like are auto seat belt tensioners, blind spot warning in rear vision mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, rear cross traffic warning, abs, esc, tc (should be switchable on/off), front & rear cameras, maybe airbags (but in two minds on that), a good loud horn (a great safety feature) and such passive systems (ok abs, esc & tc are active features but if they’ve activated most drivers have already lost the plot)…

I’ve never liked the car taking control away from me.

Ok, ok, auto handbrake falls into this category so is also a stupid idea :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I much prefer a proper handbrake over the silly fingerbrake.
And coming from a VE, which has the driver window controllers in a similar position to the VF fingerbrake, it caused a bit of a problem...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I much prefer a proper handbrake over the silly fingerbrake.
And coming from a VE, which has the driver window controllers in a similar position to the VF fingerbrake, it caused a bit of a problem...
I laughed when reading your post but it ain’t funny when if you want to wind the window up and the emergency brake slams on :p

At least we know that it is an emergency brake as well and not just a park brake :cool:

[edited] bold text added to be more clear

Last edited: