Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Engine Number Information

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
That number is a police issued stamp, hence the N at the start and P at the end.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ @SL/ENUT, not sure what you mean by “police issued stamp” :rolleyes:

Do you mean the police stamped their own prefix and suffix over the exsiting number stamped on the block after Holden built the engine?

I’d have thought such would be highly illegal but cops within Australia think “Informer 3838” is kosher so I guess it’s probably ok (I’ll have to watch the miniseries to find out - not) :p

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Meaning, the original engine number was decked off and issued with another. Could be from lost engine number or motor out of a stolen car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ @SL/ENUT, I still don’t get it... just who reissues an engine numbers and who then stamps it to an old engine block that had its number removed...

As far as I’m aware, decking a pad to remove a number and re-stamping is illegal o_O

Back in the day, even Repco when they remanufactured old Holden long blocks for sale I don’t remember they restamp the block with their own number.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
NSW police do. Hence a NSW issue number. Perhaps its not done these days but into the late 90s, was still common.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So if the P = Police then what does N=?
My guess NSW or Northern Territory. ;)
Is it just N= Number.. So the P could be the VP serries, hang on but the the N might mean VN serries, or does it mean for both models? :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@SL/ENUT, ok now I get it now.

You're saying if some car was crash damaged and the cassis number was lost due to panel replacement, the police would do ownership investigations and issue a new number for that vehicle. Same for parts like engines that have had their numbers defaced (stolen?) or machined off (sloppy worksop?), though how one proves who the owner of a stolen and recovered engine with no number actually was would be difficult (honest officer, my engine had the supercharged on it)...

But these days, with statutory write offs and the aim of NEVDIS to stop trade in stolen parts and vehicle rebirths, it would be ludicrous to still do such. However, lunatics are running the asylum so nothing would surprise me :rolleyes:

@Scooter2708 could check what records those 90’s corrupt NSW police kept and maybe find out more about the original vehicle it was installed into ;)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Only listing I can find which is close is V*****P which is a 5.7L VL engine, there is no NP mentioned in any web forums. And that's the only P mentioned.

VP
VL Walkinshaw and VT 5.7L 220kW HSV (different blocks, common number)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
So if the P = Police then what does N=?
My guess NSW or Northern Territory. ;)
Is it just N= Number.. So the P could be the VP serries, hang on but the the N might mean VN serries, or does it mean for both models? :eek:
Seems P suffix indicates a police issued number

N prefix in conjunction with P suffix indicates it was issued by NSW police.
similarly V in conjunction with P indicates the Victorian police issued the number with similar logic in other states.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
@SL/ENUT, ok now I get it now.

You're saying if some car was crash damaged and the cassis number was lost due to panel replacement, the police would do ownership investigations and issue a new number for that vehicle. Same for parts like engines that have had their numbers defaced (stolen?) or machined off (sloppy worksop?), though how one proves who the owner of a stolen and recovered engine with no number actually was would be difficult (honest officer, my engine had the supercharged on it)...

But these days, with statutory write offs and the aim of NEVDIS to stop trade in stolen parts and vehicle rebirths, it would be ludicrous to still do such. However, lunatics are running the asylum so nothing would surprise me :rolleyes:

@Scooter2708 could check what records those 90’s corrupt NSW police kept and maybe find out more about the original vehicle it was installed into ;)
Correct.
the N96 denotes stamped in 1996.
The original engine prefix would be either VU or SVU.

Only listing I can find which is close is V*****P which is a 5.7L VL engine, there is no NP mentioned in any web forums. And that's the only P mentioned.

VP
VL Walkinshaw and VT 5.7L 220kW HSV (different blocks, common number)
its 304, not 308 and the VL walkinshaw wasn't 5.7...

But, its VP then number. The original poster has N, numbers then P, denoteing NSW,number, Police.
Northern Territory police number i believe is N, number TP