Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV’s “Zero emissions” ?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
u would have to dump your body too as breathing out is an emission, so we are going to have to breath less by 43% in law by 2030, apparently that ad with the hydrogen car uses less emission then a runner FALSE...
They can make such erroneous assertions as there are people out there who will believe anything, like the runner ‍♀️ statement

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A few months ago there was a field full of Tesla's somewhere near me, I was going to take a picture of it and post it here but thought better of it as no doubt said picture would have ended up on someone's "social" feed as more proof of EV's numbers been spoofed. The reality is the vehicles were stored there temporarily and are now all gone. In the same field previously it was full of campervans and during covid it was full of rental car fleets.

Take what you see on the "socials" with a grain of salt.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fun fact: currently, there is no true “zero emission” vehicle as they have brake pads which emit pollutants.
Was watching a Joe Rogan podcast and heard this.

Joe Rogan, another stellar example of "social" truths.

It's great entertainment but that is about as far as I would go with it.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Given the extreme environmental damage to produce the battery, the battery must reach 8 years at least to be on par with a normal gasoline powered car. I heard something like that.

Maybe you ‘heard’ that, but it’ll be highly dependent upon the source of the energy used to produce those batteries and the EVs themselves. Then there is the ‘carbon’ (really C02e) used to recharge the EVs over their lifetime.

Have a look at some of the research and see what the actual data shows. This paper is for the USA and compares the lifetime CO2e across several different classes of vehicles. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac5142

The EVs do produce more CO2e during manufacturing, but their ongoing (recharging) CO2e is less. The paper quotes…

For BEVs and ICEVs the breakeven time is 1.2–1.3 years for sedans, 1.4–1.6 years for SUVs, and 1.3 years for pickup trucks (figure 2(a)), based on the average annual VMT for each vehicle class. For BEVs and HEVs the breakeven time is 2.2–2.4 years for sedans, 2.5–2.7 years for SUVs, and 2.2–2.4 years for pickup trucks (figure 2(b)).

IMG_1521.jpeg

The ongoing CO2e for EVs is largely determined by the amount of CO2e in the electricity system that is used to recharge the EVs. Just about everywhere is (slowly) decarbonising their electricity grid, so the slope of the accumulative CO2e for EVs will probably trend downwards as the electricity grid decarbonises.

The authors of the paper state in the discussion…

Public concerns about BEVs having higher emissions than ICEVs or HEVs are largely unfounded, as BEVs outperform HEVs in 95%–96% of counties, and BEVs outperform ICEVs in 98%–99% of counties, even assuming modest progress towards grid decarbonization (i.e. the CO2-intensity of electricity production falls in half from 2005 levels by 2050).

But, yes, EVs aren’t ‘zero emissions’ vehicles, but they are way less emissions than an ICE vehicle over the lifetime of a vehicle.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Exactly.

A company my missus worked for many moons ago was working on a system to recycle tyres and it looked real promising but council compliance testing was taking to long and it never got through to commercial reality which is sad as it would have put a huge dent in the pile of old tyres in NZ.

I don't think there is a true tyre recycling system but I have seen where they are ground up and used to create safety matting but it's only a small %age of all the used tyres so doesn't really solve the problem.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
keep raping the earth and call it green what ever you like, see why I say the country is full of idoits that love bullshit. How many scumbags dump tyres in the bush to save $20?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
keep raping the earth and call it green what ever you like, see why I say the country is full of idoits that love bullshit. How many scumbags dump tyres in the bush to save $20?
Should just burn them all.