Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ex government department

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
Hi folks

I'm looking to buy a 2017 'ex government department' SS VF II 6.2Ltr wagon in great nick. The question is: what government departments use these vehicles?
Possibly a clue: it has two batteries, a cargo barrier, and a fire extinguisher.

I'm thinking police, RTA etc. Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
It won't be a "normal" department... mine, like many others, goes for much cheaper options and even if we have a Commodore wagon it's the base model V6.

V8's are usually for urgent or special duties so my guess will be it's ex-police or similar. If it's Victoria, then Victoria police have definitely run V8 wagons and the dual batteries would indicate to me it's ex-police. Any indication of where lights or a siren would have been added? Perhaps internal (unmarked) lights?

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
I work in Govt fleet in Victoria, V8’s are restricted to Police only. So if it’s Victoria definitely ex Police.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Ex cop for sure.

Look for damage underneath (jumping gutters) and any panel repairs. Generally serviced well, full check up after high-speed pursuit

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What does the owner's manual list as the first registered owner ?

My old VS had the Commissioner of Police listed....doesn't mean he was the driver but does confirm ex-cop car.

My current VE lists the first owner as Holden with an individual shown as the driver.....so Holden company car.

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
Thanks for those replies guys.

After a chat with the seller and a look in the manual, it's definitely ex-police. Not a pursuit vehicle, but probably used for the daily donut runs. It had a run in with an object dropped from a truck. Bent the bonnet and the passenger A pillar a bit. Sold at auction as it was written off (would you believe?) as a repairable write off. A new bonnet, minor repair to pillar and it's back to new. Hasn't even had it's 15,000 service yet and looks a million $$$.
Took it for a drive - what a glorious sound it makes! I think I set a new record for handing over a deposit. Mine! Mine! Mine!

martinpalac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Commodore
Im also thinking that it is ex-police. Check the owners manual or look for patched up holes in the bottom of the black roof runners which are located just above the top of the door (youll only see this when the doors are open). But... some 2nd hand dealers do get replacements.
My last 3 cars have been ex-police and havent had any issues.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Thanks for those replies guys.

After a chat with the seller and a look in the manual, it's definitely ex-police. Not a pursuit vehicle, but probably used for the daily donut runs.

I'd be questioning that... the only V8's I've seen that Police user have been Highway Patrol vehicles. GD and other vehicles are generally only fours or sixes.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
VicPol had plenty of VE and VF V8 wagons for 'unmarked' HWP duties...

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Some senior police can get unmarked, so no real work as such, but they’re rare. What I would be questioning is whether op would be able to insure it given it is a write off, but happy to be corrected on that.