Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Expressions Of Interest

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Ok, time to explain what I have got here,

What I have learnt over the years and what I can actually put into practice is you can actually change the value of some sensors, by adjusting several sensors you can actually increase or decrease the car's performance. What most people don’t know is that the ECU (regardless of type) has a re-learn function. When any power is dropped out from the ECU it re-learns any current settings. By putting this software along with the adaptor onto your car it will put it into the tech-1 mode, all ECU's have 3 settings,
CEL (The standard Check Engine Light for fault codes)Limp home modeTech-1 mode
All these are controlled by changing the resistance of the pin on the Commodore used for the CEL mode.

When you change the values of the car while running, the computer will infact learn the new settings, I was incorrect in saying that it writes to the ECU, that was my bad, it will re-learn and keep any current settings you have made in the car. Have you ever wondered why when you change the spark plug leads and/or plugs it runs better? The re-learn process causes this.

So far all I can get up and running is the software to actually read the current settings on the car, and tinker a little bit with the settings, I’m in talks at the moment with a mate who sells laptops, (they are all second hand, and will be all that’s needed to run the software on the car. I hope this clears some questions up for you all, keep your eye's on this space for more news.

I’ll be making the first one this weekend and hoping to show some member's on the cruise so they can verify it works as stated.

The software is Windows based, all that is needed is a PC or Laptop that can run a minimum of Windows 3.11, lol, now that's old. It's read in raw data, does have pretty figures on-screen, but it also converts it into settings, ie kpa settings or fuel flow, or spark strength and count.

I’ll let you all know what goes on.

Cheers
Garth

Locksmiff

Reaction score
I don't know if you know or not Garth, but I think if somehting is plugged into where I think your plugging into it, it may lock the timing at 10 degree's while it's running that is, regardless of whats written in the map. I will check that, a little later for ya, though, just to 100% verify that for ya, but something makes me think you might know, seeing as you are this far with it.

I had to put timing marks on my harmonic balancer one day to find it, due to a problem solving mission.

Chris

Reaction score
I am interested
do you have any idea on the costing yet

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Ok i'll chuck in a few questions on this.

Does it have a GUI interface? As in will it be easy to opperate? Will you be able to backup the orriginal configuration as files on your pc?

How will it plug in. I know some ECU's have serial port on them. How will it hookup?

I have a laptop and I wouldn't mind having a play with it. Will it be universal to all Commodore models or will you have to change it for every model?

Yeah i'd be interested in knowing the cost too.. Also where would you plug this in? Is this easy to access? You don't have to pull out the carpet in the footwell in the passenger side on the floor? I am guessing there's a port somewhere iunder the hood where the Holden mechanics plug in for engine diagnostics etc..

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (VXWAGMAN @ Feb 13 2004, 12:33 AM) You don't have to pull out the carpet in the footwell in the passenger side on the floor? I am guessing there's a port somewhere iunder the hood where the Holden mechanics plug in for engine diagnostics etc..
That's exactly where it is in the passenger side footwell, and there is no serial port.........which ...hmmm good job guys. I know you can see the data so it obviously works, very good job

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (Locksmiff @ Feb 12 2004, 02:10 PM) I can visualulise how easy it would be, but I can't do it. I have the Haltech to thank for that. Its nothing more then Kalmaker after all, your trying to do.
it's quite hard sending/receiving analogue signals from a PC. as i understood it you need to buy a card for this, there's a guy who sells them in melbourne. the simplest way to do it is through a PLC, but you lose the other advantages of a PC that way.

hey garth we're waiting for more info on this, sounds really interesting..

rebel

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea Garth, the only problem is, look at our situation, how would we be able to hook it up to the car if it was parked in that parking bay, and the computers here? there wouldn't be a cord long enough to reach it.

Well hurry up and get one done, so we can check it out.

But I am interested, for sure, and I know daniel is too

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ok, ok, this is that i got so far,

so far, i got my series 2 vn hooked up to my pc at home. now i did have a huge lead running out the window.

it hooked into the aldl plug on the ecu. (you know the one you use for the cel function. the vn and vp has the 160 baud aldl plug. what i did was pretty cool

using 5 resistors, 1 male aldl plug (found it on a different car alltogether) and a 9 pin serial plug, i made this little device

first attempt was a huge failure. i couldnt receive data from the ecu.
second attempt was a failure also, wrong transistor type
3rd attempt was a bit better, changed the transistor, change the value of 2 resisitors, (went from 3.3k ohm to 3 seperate 1 kohm value's)

success, i got a hold of the info from the ecu on the commie to the pc at home.
i wouldnt put car in drive though, (resitriced by length of lead)

i will have a problem how ever with later models, the vr, vs, vt, vx, vy commie run a 8920 baud aldl. i can convert the adaptor so it will match, thats no problem, i can put both size plug's on the device so either com 1 or 2 can be used. but the software im running will only do the 160 baud ecu. gm holden changed the ecu's in the vr commie, the vr and later run the pcm. hence the difference in plugs.

i was able to read all info on the ecu, it came up in real time raw data, and converted it all to readable figures
it gave the the following sensor values
iac
coolant temp (in ferinhight unfortunatly
speed (how ever i wasnt moving
map sensor
rpm
tps
o2
battery volts
charging system
knock counter (spark)
blm
rich/lean counter (weither it's running to rich or to lean
idl rpm
and the scaled tps

how ever, i do require some info, i need someone with a vp, vr, vs, vt, vx, vy to rip of their kick pannel, and have a look at the pcm (ecu on vp)
i need the 10 digit no on th ecu, it will start with the no's 122 (hopefully)
i need to make the changes to software for it to pick up the pcm

if you can help, let me know

price wise, it cost me just under $14 to make, that's not including labour. so we will see, im getting prices of a mate for laptop's, (second hand sucker's which will only be able to be used for this process) he's talking around the $50 mark for the laptops, but it's not official, i need alteast 2-3 more weeks for the laptop and finaly cost, but i do have one up for the cruise. so i can show member's what and how it works. im very very happy

cheers
garth

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
how do you know how to sort of the signals? is there a protocol in the engine manual or did you work it out yourself?

sounds really impressive, next step is to sell this to workshops