Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors and cats... *UPDATE Pg 6 Dyno Results

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Just got off the phone with NAAF, parts have been ordered, just need to send him some cash.

Hurricane 1 7/8 extractors
Manta Cats

I believe that the cats are stainless, and the extractors are only mild steel (but I am not 100% sure, NAAF will be able to tell you for sure).

Should all bolt up nice to my Walkinshaw catback I hope haha

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Boom, money sent, so excited now haha.

Hopefully pick them up tomorrow...

Wonder how hard they are going to be to install :beer chug: Hopefully it's fairly easy....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, extractors are mild, cats are stainless.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Remind me to rep when I get off my phone, good work NAAF

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Well after abit of a mess around today, NAAF and I found out that Manta no longer supply a short cat that will join the Hurricane 1 7/8 headers to a factory positioned cat-back exhaust. Instead, Manta offer a longer cats, and you no longer use the front section of their cat back (I think this is what NAAF explained to me).

Basically, I bought a manta cat-back too :)

Kind of annoyed, as I definietly didn't budget this, or overly want it, but it's the only option with hacking up the Walkinshaw cat back I have. I guess at the end of the day, I'll be overall happier with the louder manta cat-back too. And I'm still alot better off than the $3500-4000 quotes I was given by shops around perth for a similar exhaust.

Sooooo... anyone keen on a twin 2.5 stainless Walkinshaw exhaust?? Even keeps factory warranty ;)

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Not 100% sure yet, I'll have a look see what condition it is in once I remove it from the car.

At the end of the day they are $2300-2400ish online or from Walkinshaw, but I doubt I'll even get 50% of that provided the exhuast is in very good condition.

Will be removed next weekend and put up for sale, I'll see what responce I get for the money I'm chasing, if not I'll need to lower the price.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My apologies for the stuff around.

As said, the cats they used to supply could match up to the cat back off factory cats after fitting extractors, but they had issues with them so they no longer do them. They supply their own cats to go with their system now.

The Manta system has the front section in 2 pieces, the Y section off the cats, then the centre. They make it like this so they don't have to manufacture two separate exhausts - one to suit factory cats, one to suit extractors and aftermarket cats. Manta are forward thinking in making modular systems to suit a variety of applications so that only one small section has to be changed in order to remain "bolt on".

In order to fit the cats to the Walkinshaw system, the whole front "Y" section would have to be cut off and flanges welded to it in order to bolt up to the cats. This renders the cat back pretty much useless for any other car. The Manta system, with the separate "Y" section will fit both their own and factory cats.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
My apologies for the stuff around.

Not your fault mate.

The only reason I went fot the manta cat back rather than hacking the Walky one up was that I wasn't entirely convinced I wanted to keep the Walky one anyway. So once it was hacked, I basically was throwing it's resale value in the bin, thought I may aswell get back for it what I can, and just jump on the manta cat-back bandwagon.

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
I wasn't entirely convinced I wanted to keep the Walky one anyway.

I reckon your crazy, the Walky is one of the better sounding exhausts, I would return the extractors and get the Walky(HM) ones to suit your catback. I'm sure NAAF wouldn't mind giving you a refund in light of what happened.