Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's 95 VS Statesman

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by EYY, Aug 24, 2015.

1. thatotherguy94

thatotherguy94 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim, VS II Calais, HQ Premier
    Ive got the same cam in mine, doesnt do too badly on fuel. Dash says its getting 11.3L/100km which I assume is about average for a 5L..

2. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I did have some pics at the start of the thread of the donor car but they've disappeared lol, gotta go through and fix the broken links. I'll try and get my hands on a decent camera when I'm putting it back in. The donor is a 98 S3 stato, got it cheap about 12 months ago. Thought about registering it but it doesn't have leather or a sunroof like mine does currently, plus I would've had to pay for a roadworthy cert and stamp duty etc etc. I'll be putting the 6 back into the donor car then moving it on.

Not doing much to it really, just tidying it up in general. Fitted the cam and it's all back together apart from the sump, also threw the hsv headers on after welding up a crack.

I hear you're a photographer... wanna come and take some pics?
    Yeah been thinking about getting a new one, it turned off today when it had 40% battery - must be a sign haha. Thinking about buying a cheap camera just to take photos of my projects.

The 268? Did you have it tuned, or is it just running on the standard tune?
    Tbh I'd be happy with anything under 15L/100km

3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That sounds very good. I don;t think there would be many 5 litres pulling that number.

Last big highway trip a number of years ago mine averaged just under 10 fully loaded but doesn't get anywhere near that around town.

4. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    mine doesnt move off 99.9 :cry:

5. thatotherguy94

thatotherguy94 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim, VS II Calais, HQ Premier
    Yeah 268, I have only recently had it tuned and it seems to run better. It ran ok on the standard tune but occasionally wanted to stall.

6. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    To be fair it doesn't move anywhere either. So its kinda efficient haha :p

7. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Well not under it's own steam anyway.

8. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    So after some blood (literally :p ), sweat and not too many tears the 5L is in and it's back on the road. Took it to Vicroads and had the engine number/configuration changed in their system and all went smoothly, so I'm stoked!

I still need to have the gas system programmed to suit the v8 and it's batchfire configuration (apparently a bit of a headache), then the conversion will be finished. It seems to run well with the cam, but it idles a tad higher than it should, and occasionally the idle rises to 1500rpm on its own but then settles back down.

Seems to have good top end power but is pretty soft off the bottom which I assume is probably fixable with a tune. The trip computer says the average fuel economy is 15L/100km, so there will be gains to be had with a tune there too I hope.

Don't have many photos (no decent ones) but will try and get some good ones shortly. Also fitted the VT engine covers and mounted the gas injectors this afternoon, and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks :)

9. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    A few progress shots anyway.
    Underneath the wiper motor cover - the V6 air conditioning lines connect near the center of the car and run to the passengers side. The V8 heads straight to the drivers side and goes through a different grommet then curves around the brake booster. Was much easier than anticipated. The condenser IS THE SAME from the v6 to the v8. It's just the lines that are different. The other major difference for the air con is that the V8 has an electric fan on the condenser. The mounts are all there as is the wiring. You just need to plug it in and bolt it on.
    [​IMG]

After the first test drive.
    [​IMG]

The injector brackets and engine covers (poor photo warning :p )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try and mount the ignition module on behind the passengers strut tower to avoid drilling holes where I don't have to. The engine covers aren't staying red. I got them off a guy on facebook who had a crack at painting them, and there are more than a few runs lol. Thinking about painting the bananas black and either painting the covers silver with a course metallic, or maybe polishing them.

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Good job.

Engine covers body colour ?

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    That's the other option, a few people have said that so far. Don't know if it'll end up looking too dark in the engine bay though?

12. WazzaVN

WazzaVN Wazza VN

Members Ride:
    VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
    Matte black on the manifold and silver with matte clear on the cover will look nice imo. Can't go wrong with black and silver in the engine bay I reckon.

13. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Managed to get a few photos today.

Still has the stock V8 springs, but I have some lowered springs to go in the front anyway so it should sit exactly the same as it did before.
    [​IMG]

I tried to hide as much under the engine covers as I could. Still need to tidy the wiring around the passengers side strut and fit cruise control.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole bay needs a clean and some more tidying, but since it's a daily I won't worry about that too much
    [​IMG]

14. Brisbarnz

Brisbarnz Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vh sle
    Awesome work! I hadn't read this thread in a while. Looks good

15. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Thanks mate.

I converted it to sequential injection last weekend. Runs well but still having a few teething issues with it.

I fitted the innovate mtx-l wideband last week, and it seems to be leaning right out under throttle and hesitating badly with a lack of power. This happened earlier in the week and I replaced the MAF sensor and it was all sweet. Now the problem's come back. When I unplug the MAF the AFRS are all over the place, but it still richens as it should under throttle as opposed to leaning out.

Ordered a new MAF which should be here next week. I found that under acceleration/engine movement the MAF came into contact with the alternator bracket which may have killed the sensor.

Somebody pinched one of my caprice centre caps. I managed to find a couple of caps through a group on facebook which I'll polish shortly and I'll refit the caprice wheels (got the stockies on atm).

Keen to be driving the stato again!

16. Adelaidetradie86

Adelaidetradie86 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Thieving punks. Mate of mine has had his hsv ones pinched from his maloo a few times up at roxby (miner). Got sick of that so now has a rough looking VX he found cheap with low kms to drive to work.
    The stato is looking killer. Was trying to convince my misses to get a 5 litre one for a temp car. I offered to buy it off her when she was done with it so i could put the motor in the ute. No dice sadly. She got herself a mazda 3

17. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Finally got it all sorted. Turns out I had the maf rotated 90 degrees and in an awkward position with the wrong airbox lid - I can't believe it made the car undriveable. Also found that the wiring for the o2 sensors mustve been damaged. I purchased an ALDL cable from the1 which helped me to figure out what was going on. Ran new wiring to a single wire o2 sensor and got rid of the o2 sensor heater wiring altogether.

Fitted the new springs to the front and put chrome some of the s3 chrome door handles on (interior). I haven't had any issues with it at all within the past 5,000km or so. The LPG injection has been great - it uses around 15-16L/100 km on gas, so costs around $10 per 100km to drive which is awesome. If I baby it (rarely haha), it returns high 12's on the on average but I've tuned it for power, so economy suffers a little bit.

I got my hands on a twin 2.25" system with twin cats for $100 which i'll fit over the next couple of weeks. Also considering buying slimline weather-shields for it.

18. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    A few updates. I ended up purchasing the slimline weathershields and I'm pretty happy with them. I'd like to get a genuine roof spoiler and bonnet protector, but they're near impossible to come across unfortunately. Anyway, I found some caprice rims for $200 the other day. Still have the polished ones, but these ones came up cheap with good tyres so decided to run with them for a while and fitted them today.

The pinstriping was pretty bad and peeling in spots, so I removed it today.
    [​IMG]

I used a caramel wheel from supercheap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once all pinstriping was removed, I washed it before polishing it (will upload more pics once it's all done).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've just finished converting another VT loom to a VS S3 roller cam loom. My first attempt was a little messy (had issues with o2 sensor wiring and a few other small issues) and I wanted to tidy up the engine bay. I actually have a genuine VS s3 loom, but they're incredibly difficult to find and I've never found one for sale, so I wanted to copy it EXACTLY (and I've found a couple of small differences between the factory s3 loom and the relevant wiring diagram.

The VT loom is quite different - the auto indicator/safety switch is on the side of the box, there is an additional O2 sensor, the A/C wiring is totally different, its missing wiring for the temp sender on the VS, the coil has it's on power source (doesn't on the VS), the VS has additional trip computer wiring and the loom routing is very different. The VS has two plugs near the RH strut tower and one inside near the pcm. The VT just has 3 plugs at the firewall. I went to the wreckers and got the firewall connectors and the connector inside near the pcm for the conversion. The rest is just figuring out where everything goes with the multimeter.

When I first started pulling the loom apart - excuse the mess.
    [​IMG]

Just some of the wiring I removed from the VT loom
    [​IMG]

The 3 VT plugs
    [​IMG]

VS plugs in engine bay
    [​IMG]

Soldering plugs on (always use dual wall heatshrink with glue).
    [​IMG]

The completed loom (just need to buy some more tape and put the corrugated tube back on).
    [​IMG]

If I get time this week I'll try to get the new loom fitted.

Sandman likes this.
  19. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Had the day off today so finished polishing it and removed the new caprice wheels and put the polished caprices on instead. Used Black Magic tyre shine and some Autoglym wheel protectant which will hopefully ensure that the rims don't dull too quickly. No issue if they do, they're pretty easy to polish back up anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS 5.0 likes this.
  20. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Interested to know how this performs.