Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's 95 VS Statesman

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
need some more quality pics. tell us about the donor car. what are you thinking of doing while its all out

I did have some pics at the start of the thread of the donor car but they've disappeared lol, gotta go through and fix the broken links. I'll try and get my hands on a decent camera when I'm putting it back in. The donor is a 98 S3 stato, got it cheap about 12 months ago. Thought about registering it but it doesn't have leather or a sunroof like mine does currently, plus I would've had to pay for a roadworthy cert and stamp duty etc etc. I'll be putting the 6 back into the donor car then moving it on.

Not doing much to it really, just tidying it up in general. Fitted the cam and it's all back together apart from the sump, also threw the hsv headers on after welding up a crack.

Please tell me you're getting a new phone for your birthday, potato camera on this one has lived long enough surely :p
I hear you're a photographer... wanna come and take some pics?
Yeah been thinking about getting a new one, it turned off today when it had 40% battery - must be a sign haha. Thinking about buying a cheap camera just to take photos of my projects.

Ive got the same cam in mine, doesnt do too badly on fuel. Dash says its getting 11.3L/100km which I assume is about average for a 5L..
The 268? Did you have it tuned, or is it just running on the standard tune?
Tbh I'd be happy with anything under 15L/100km

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ive got the same cam in mine, doesnt do too badly on fuel. Dash says its getting 11.3L/100km which I assume is about average for a 5L..

That sounds very good. I don;t think there would be many 5 litres pulling that number.

Last big highway trip a number of years ago mine averaged just under 10 fully loaded but doesn't get anywhere near that around town.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
mine doesnt move off 99.9 :cry:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So after some blood (literally :p ), sweat and not too many tears the 5L is in and it's back on the road. Took it to Vicroads and had the engine number/configuration changed in their system and all went smoothly, so I'm stoked!

I still need to have the gas system programmed to suit the v8 and it's batchfire configuration (apparently a bit of a headache), then the conversion will be finished. It seems to run well with the cam, but it idles a tad higher than it should, and occasionally the idle rises to 1500rpm on its own but then settles back down.

Seems to have good top end power but is pretty soft off the bottom which I assume is probably fixable with a tune. The trip computer says the average fuel economy is 15L/100km, so there will be gains to be had with a tune there too I hope.

Don't have many photos (no decent ones) but will try and get some good ones shortly. Also fitted the VT engine covers and mounted the gas injectors this afternoon, and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
A few progress shots anyway.
Underneath the wiper motor cover - the V6 air conditioning lines connect near the center of the car and run to the passengers side. The V8 heads straight to the drivers side and goes through a different grommet then curves around the brake booster. Was much easier than anticipated. The condenser IS THE SAME from the v6 to the v8. It's just the lines that are different. The other major difference for the air con is that the V8 has an electric fan on the condenser. The mounts are all there as is the wiring. You just need to plug it in and bolt it on.
72gzShH.jpg

After the first test drive.
4Xn19WO.jpg

The injector brackets and engine covers (poor photo warning :p )
dSXaOu3.jpg

H7P17OY.jpg

I'll try and mount the ignition module on behind the passengers strut tower to avoid drilling holes where I don't have to. The engine covers aren't staying red. I got them off a guy on facebook who had a crack at painting them, and there are more than a few runs lol. Thinking about painting the bananas black and either painting the covers silver with a course metallic, or maybe polishing them.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good job.

Engine covers body colour ?