Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan mounting in boot to cool amps, advice please

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep, and cutting holes in the steel parcel shelf will leave his car un-roadworthy by legal standards. It's considered part of the cars structure. I was defected for it in my old car as the previous owner had cut through the steel to mount speakers with deep magnets on them or some crap.

Do it if you like, but if the cops manage to see it one day, you will get a form or a lovely yellow sticker.

Yeah thats true, but i you'd have to do something really wrong to have the cops looking for non standard holes in your parcel shelf.

You could always use the standard holes spot-welded into the parcel shelf...

Having tubes coming from the fans will be much more effective, just wont look that good, unless you put alot of work into it and use perspex or clear tubing.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK well honestly if those amps are getting that hot i would imagine theres something else wrong with the system.....

* Ive noticed youve got 8awg running to each amp, are they dual runs back to the battery?

*Where have you earthed the amps out, and is the area youve screwed / bolted the earth cables to sanded back to bare metal?

*How are the amps wired (what amp is running what)?

Ive owned and installed a heap of those Response amps in the past, and not one of them heated up to what youre saying, i mean i ran the 800wrms mono at 1 ohm for hours on end and it didnt get more than warm. Even ran it at 0.5 ohms and didnt have any problems with heat (was mounted in the boot of a commodore sedan too).

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You do realise this is only in summer, in winter and normal temps they are just "luke" warm.
But anyway

Ive got 4awg to the distrub block then 8 awg to each amp.
The clarion is powerin my 2 front splits at 130wrms, its a 4 chan but ive bridged it.

The response is powering the sub at a 500wrms bridged, its a 2 chan.
No i havn't sanded down where ive mounted the eath cable.

I thought i did everything ok....can you see somethin wrong?

when originally only had one amp, it was a ****ty fusion 200wrms powering a sub, that got real hot as well in summer.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Just get one of the above mentioned black steel fans and stick it on the 6x9 magnet pointing at the amp and a bit of somthing like no more gaps or silicon to keep it steady and pointing it at the amp. The idea is just to move the air past the amp in the boot to keep a fresh supply of air moving past it. You dont need a tube to directly point it at the amp or fresh air from the cabin, the air in the boot will never reach the temperature of the amps, so it will always have a cooling effect.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yer id agree with that, just soemthing to blow air off the heatsinks, so then they will be roughly ambient temp.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
seeing as hot air rises, it would make more sense to have the fans moving the air the other way.

I dont think it was mentioned which way the air was moving....but yes it would make sense that if mounted above the fans should move the air in the direction of the convection current.

Would a couple of small computer fans make a difference? Why not try it out with just a house hold fan blowing onto the amp with the boot shut 1st to see if that makes a signficant difference.
If you look at most electronic stuff, even for cars...it will list the operating temps a lot lower than the standard temps that can be found in a car that has been left in the blazing sun.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
commsirac's idea is even better. Get a household fan, they are cheap as if you dont have one laying around, any try that just for a little while. It may prove that a fan isnt going to cool it enough.

Another idea - what are the amps mounted to? It is a bit hard to tell in the photos, but if it is only wood or plastic you might have some success by using a metal plate. The metal plate would act as a heatsink and help to draw heat away from the amp. You could use some thermal material between the amp to help transfer the heat into the metal plate.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
commsirac's idea is even better. Get a household fan, they are cheap as if you dont have one laying around, any try that just for a little while. It may prove that a fan isnt going to cool it enough.

Another idea - what are the amps mounted to? It is a bit hard to tell in the photos, but if it is only wood or plastic you might have some success by using a metal plate. The metal plate would act as a heatsink and help to draw heat away from the amp. You could use some thermal material between the amp to help transfer the heat into the metal plate.

They are mounted just on the back of the seats...like that metal bit, i guess its the parcel shelf? like under it?

ill get more photo's if you want.