Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan mounting in boot to cool amps, advice please

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
You do realise this is only in summer, in winter and normal temps they are just "luke" warm.
But anyway

Ive got 4awg to the distrub block then 8 awg to each amp.
The clarion is powerin my 2 front splits at 130wrms, its a 4 chan but ive bridged it.

The response is powering the sub at a 500wrms bridged, its a 2 chan.
No i havn't sanded down where ive mounted the eath cable.

I thought i did everything ok....can you see somethin wrong?

when originally only had one amp, it was a ****ty fusion 200wrms powering a sub, that got real hot as well in summer.

Just to see if I got this right, your earth isn't going onto bare metal? If it isn't bare metal your amps won't be earthed correctly. I just got a chisel and scraped the paint off with mine.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah either chisel or sand off the paint where your earth terminal/s screw / bolt to.

Also, where are they earthed to (e.g. where the amps are mounted or underside of the parcel shelf)?

Its good practice to earth each amp at a seperate location too.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Nothing wrong with good earths, however, I wouldnt anticipate that a bad earth is going to make the amp run hotter though, possibly cooler.

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
excuse the small hijack, but holdenboy.. I have a 2x150 response and i've had it hit protect mode twice on me in a couple of months, not running overly hard.. could be the heap of stuff in my boot though.. :S

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Probabaly not....it is possible though.

How would it make it run cooler?

XeKToReX - it could be the poor air circulation.....what is it running and what model is it, the new one, the old silver one or the older black one?

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
Running a kenwood 12 bridged, its a silver 2x150, I had a black one that was exactly the same in every way before it, but thought it was dead so jaycat swapped it out for a silver of the same model, only bought it a few months ago..

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Probabaly not....it is possible though.

How would it make it run cooler?
Im possibly over simplifying it and tricky things can happen when the earth is poor with a sophisticated device such as an amp.
However, in most electrical applications, a bad earth can be regarded as just taking voltage away from your supply. Instead of 12V, 2V can be taken up in the bad earth(with a high current load) and you only have 10V for you amp. Net result the amp doesnt get the rated voltage, its unlikely to produce the rated output or consequent heat output.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah i knew the amp would not put out the same amount of power with a poor ground. Maybe because an amp has a poor ground the owner runs the amp at a higher input level (gain) and causes clipping which maybe then leads to more heat? (not meaning you Heffer-Slayer).

XeKToReX - yeah maybe it was just poor cirulation then, ive installed a few of those amps running subs bridged and never had a complaint about heat.

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
What color is your car?

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My car? It is "Tungsten" i think?
Some type of metallic.

Well how should i create a good ground??
Just chip away at the paint then use that? and should i have different grounds for both amps?

This is a bit off topic, but somedays i think my sub is louder then others....could be caused by the bad ground?