Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty fuel injectors on the LS3 motor

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Injectors wouldn’t be on hand today because Holden didn’t plan for this known fault that stretches back more than 2 years… COVID and the supply line issues aren’t to blame here.

It should have been a recall and all LS3’s should have had their injectors replaced in a controlled and planned process that would have been completed years ago with minimal disruption or inconvenience to owners.. But the fcukards just didn’t care and I’m sure 100’s, maybe 1000’s have paid for one, 2 or more injectors to be replaced out of their own pocket.

We shouldn’t be making up excuses for Holden’s very poor handling of this issue…

I don't have an issue having the injectors replaced free of charge IF these ones are faulty.....

The issue is, we don't know for sure they are faulty....We only have a gut feeling post....

I do see Holden wanting to confirm what the problem is before proceeding, which I see as a smart move....

Nothing worse than replacing one part, going on a whim, only to find out that part wasn't the problem to begin with and you being hundreds if not thousands out of pocket, ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It’s a known issue that would take a dealer 2 minutes to confirm using a multimeter…

The $300 diagnostics fee is just a constructed cost barrier to encourage people to go 3rd party repair and fix the one problem injector themselves…

I understand people wouldn't want to cough up that dough but wouldn't you take up an offer of a free diagnostics test and then see if that mechanic offering that test would back up his claim in writing?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
IIRC the ‘air conditioner drain’ issue was simply rectified when the car next came in for a service. There was no waiting for it to fail, nor was there any “we need to diagnosis the drain leak first - at your expense initially”, or ‘“we need to seek Holden’s approval before proceeding”. The work was just done - and often without the customer prompting them. I suppose part if the drive to fix the air conditioner drain would be the need (and extra expense) to replace the carpet when it did fail.

How hard would it be for the injectors to be checked when the car was serviced and replaced if any injectors were showing signs of becoming out of tolerance. After all, it basically a resistance check of the injector’s coil.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I do see Holden wanting to confirm what the problem is before proceeding, which I see as a smart move.
Its a 2 minute test with a multimeter, hardly something that justifies $300 of diagnostics charges… The dealers are being purposefully obtuse here.
I understand people wouldn't want to cough up that dough but wouldn't you take up an offer of a free diagnostics test and then see if that mechanic offering that test would back up his claim in writing?
Holden will still want their dealers to “diagnose” so will likely still want you to put up the $300.

The whole idea for this $300 diagnostics fee is that there is this hurdle to keep the small claims away. It’s just part of their poor customer service in that a few minutes would resolve the issue.

And let’s not forget if Holden had a recall, or even a service campaign (grey recall), OP would never had to previously pay for injectors to be replaced at his cost (a couple of times?) and all 8 injectors would have been replaced with little to no inconvenienc.

At the end of the day, this problem is of Holden’s making and they should diagnose and fix it with as little inconvenience to the owner as is humanly possible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Its a 2 minute test with a multimeter, hardly something that justifies $300 of diagnostics charges… The dealers are being purposefully obtuse here.
Holden will still want their dealers to “diagnose” so will likely still want you to put up the $300.

The whole idea for this $300 diagnostics fee is that there is this hurdle to keep the small claims away. It’s just part of their poor customer service in that a few minutes would resolve the issue.

And let’s not forget if Holden had a recall, or even a service campaign (grey recall), OP would never had to previously pay for injectors to be replaced at his cost (a couple of times?) and all 8 injectors would have been replaced with little to no inconvenienc.

At the end of the day, this problem is of Holden’s making and they should diagnose and fix it with as little inconvenience to the owner as is humanly possible.

All I can say is, it may seem to be the injectors, but without checking it actually is the injectors, it's all hot air.

Yeah, Holden might want that outlandish $300 fee, but asking an independant for a diagnosis and Holden if they will wave that fee if it is the injectors never hurt anyone.....

At the end of the day, I'm looking at it from the outside, not defending anyone.....I'm seeing it as trying to confirm the problem and how to go around it not costing a cent for anyone and save the next part that may come along of, "I had it done and it wasn't the problem at all" scenario that occurs way to often

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah @vc commodore, I understand what you’re saying and the perspective you’re taking.

Unfortunately the dealer is being obtuse since confirmation is a simple multimeter measurement that takes minutes. Such is very far from a 2 hour diagnosis which $300 seems to want to do.

Such a quick multimeter check can be done as a matter of course to identify or discount this known injector defect as being the cause of the problem the OP identified.

Really, that’s all I’d want from the dealer. If it ain’t injectors, I’d not want them identifying the cause other than injector/not injector. If it’s not injectors, fixing the car can be diagnosed and repaired by a cheaper 3rd party mechanic…

And why should Holden do such to help their customers? Well they should have recalled these potentially defective components and replaced them when it was first identified in late 2018 (I think it was). The fact they didn’t have a recall, well they can take the hit $10 now to support their customers by checking injector impedance.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-220304_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-220304_Chrome.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 127

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore SS V8
It must be said this applies if the car was bought new, otherwise the statutory warranty is 3 months.
It was a brand new vehicle bought from Holden Alto Chatswood.

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
So if your mechanic does free diagnostic tests, why not ask him to do this and see if he will print out the report stating the injectors are failing.

From that, providing it is on letter head, including the mechanics ABN number, take this report to Holden and see if they will accept this report as the reason your car is playing up.

If that fails, having this report in hand, see how you fair when you contact consumer affairs....

Another thing you could try is, ask your Holden dealer, if you cough up the $300 and it does turn out to be failing injectors, will they refund your costs and replace the injectors for free, considering you have already had 4 replaced under warranty (I assume)

Either way, you do need some sort of proof the problem you are experiencing is actually failing injectors.....Your gut feeling doesn't really hold a great deal of weight unfortunately
They were replaced outside of warranty and not a Holden dealer. I stopped going to Holden when my warranty ran out and November last year was fuel injector 7 January number 5 March 2 and then 3 or 1 the all that side. My warranty ran out in April 20 . My mechanic does 2 services a year so there is no wear and tear.

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you for your help I will talk to my mechanic and I have all the invoices . So i will photo copy and take to Holden dealer for all the good it will do. out of pocket $980.