Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Fix VR-VS Key (Pics)

taity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ UTE
hey guys. with my vr i have trouble starting it sometimes. i turn the key all the way around and it still brings the dash lights on and radio etc but wont crank the starter over. would this mean that the terminal on my key isnt engaging with the ring around the ignition? anyhelp would be great. cheers

crozier84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute 5spd Ecotec
Guys i seriously would not open your keys up they are a sealed unit for a reason,, Factory original VR keys are the only ones that should ever be opened as they were designed to have the battery replaced,,, Every other model the battery is soldered in place an a replacement battery wont work as the remote was not designed to take a replacement item,, You can blow the circuit in the remote. Holden Factory batteries are slightly different to the batteries you buy at you local shop..

To save yourself the dramas just take the working key to a locksmith an get them to copy it onto a new head,, simple an easy to do takes all of 5min,, Holden will charge a bucket load for a new key last i checked was $180 for the key then ya gotta take it somewhere to get cut if you getting a whole new key, expect to pay around the $50 mark to get it cut then back to Holden for another $80ish to get it programed... A decent locksmith should be able to cut an program the key for around $100 to $130. again takes all of 10min if they a decent locksmith. To introduce the key to the car takes all of 30seconds its so simple...

To save yourself the dramas i seriously recommend not opening the heads,,, also before anyone says i have no idea what im on about iv been in the key industry for nearly 3 years and at my old job i specialized in automotive keys an not just Holden..

shane_90,
my Vs ute key only remote unlocks (it only has the rubber unlock button and hard plastic where the 'lock' button should be) I have to lock it with the key itself. I have another VS key from a mates write-off with both buttons. Do u know if a locksmith can re-program the dual button key for my ute?
Cheers

Rgsyes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec 500k & still going
Works like a treat, sealed unit or not thanks mate, saved a pensioner $ I dont have

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I've now fixed both my keys with this method. I slipped with the stanley knife on the last one while cutting/prying it apart, got a good, deep cut in my hand with four stitches donated by my local Dr to hold it together. Oh well saved me over a hundred bucks for a new key head. LOL.

EdzEh

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
remote central locking sensor

No it goes to the little square in the centre of your dash.

Excellent how to, I just fixed my key by using these instructions.

Do you have a pic of the actual 'square in the dash' pls - I'm shoving a WH into an EH and want to make sure the central locking works properly from the key? Cheers Ed

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Do you have a pic of the actual 'square in the dash' pls - I'm shoving a WH into an EH and want to make sure the central locking works properly from the key? Cheers Ed

My camera aint working ATM. Is there any one you know that has a Commodore with factory central locking? It is a small (about 30mmx40mm) rectangular piece in the top centre of the dash, just below the windscreen. This is a light sensor for the auto headlights in the VY but I've been told or read somewhere that it is also the remote key sensor. Varification on this would be appreciated though.

Edit: I just checked my book and this rectangular piece IS definately the remote key sensor.

Last edited:

EdzEh

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
Thanks Vymad - no need for the pic, I'll make sure I take that out when I strip the car. Cheers Ed

The_Captain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
tried this and it work for a key that I was going to throw out a while back ! Tank you :)

Cheers

MaverickAus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Equipe
My key was working ok, but the buttons were shagged. I ordered a new button from these guys and its just like new again.
Replacing Worn Key buttons in Holden Commodore car key remotes.
It was easy to fit and didn't have to take the key apart to replace the button.

Thank you for the link I had mine replaced 2 days ago cost me $30. My spare key will be fitted with the covers I just ordered from the website you supplied for $16. I owe you a beer :drink:

THIS IS SPARTA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
Commodore keys are a throw away item, they're glued shut for a reason. Honestly i think your better off just shelling out for a new one if your current key dies on you.