Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal 165KR yay or nay?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Mate trust me you would of never got 200W RMS pumping into the splits constantly. It does not work like that.
Do you no how loud is 200w rms is? Do some research on amps and speakers.

Ok this has got me stumped. I don't get what you mean? Here's my lack of knowledge. Could you give me the quick dot points?

Edit: I listen to my music 90% of the time, volume 15 on my deck, which is 2 notches down from the speakers clipping. O ye, my aircon doesnt work so I have the windows open.

Edit: how much do you think I'm pumping out? isn't rms your continous rating for up to 1hr before the coils get hot? I'm usually only in my car for 1hr.

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Havent read every post but i was using Jaycar splits crossed over at 120hz and fed 150wrms per side, went plenty loud enough but ofcourse couldnt keep up with 145db+ of bass ;)

I would recommend the Boston Pro 60s, give them 180-240wrms each of clean power and you wont be disappointed haha. Ive heard them in a BA Falcon with 200wrms each and i was VERY impressed with their clarity and volume, didnt think a pair of 6.5" woofers could be that prominent ;)

Heres a link to them:
Boston Acoustics - Car Audio - Products

At Ryda:
Ryda Car Audio - Boston Pro60SE 6" Component Speakers ($728.85)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Havent read every post but i was using Jaycar splits crossed over at 120hz and fed 150wrms per side, went plenty loud enough but ofcourse couldnt keep up with 145db+ of bass ;)

I would recommend the Boston Pro 60s, give them 180-240wrms each of clean power and you wont be disappointed haha. Ive heard them in a BA Falcon with 200wrms each and i was VERY impressed with their clarity and volume, didnt think a pair of 6.5" woofers could be that prominent ;)

Heres a link to them:
Boston Acoustics - Car Audio - Products

At Ryda:
Ryda Car Audio - Boston Pro60SE 6" Component Speakers ($728.85)

Ahh, I remember you mentioned speakers in some other thread, couldn't remember which they were. Pro60. You recon you could put 240 in them? They are rated for 125rms at 3ohm (what the fudge? 3ohm.. odd).

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Like i said before, you cannot compare speakers by their rated input power as stated by the manafactuers.It's just like comparing 2 cars on paper, then getting them both on the road.

Having an amp that produces any more that their reccomended rated power input, is reffered to as head room, and is important in retaining sound quality. The more volume you push through an amp, the more distortion you get with it.In short, you can never have too much power.

Cross just about any semi-decent speaker over high enough, and they will be able to play loud.It's how well they play loud that matters, and this will be the defining difference between one set of speakers, and another.

I still think that if the Soundstreams on High pass, are not enough in an MR2, then you need a hearing aid, to restore what hearing you have already lost, then go back and have a second listen !!

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Like i said before, you cannot compare speakers by their rated input power as stated by the manafactuers.It's just like comparing 2 cars on paper, then getting them both on the road.

Having an amp that produces any more that their reccomended rated power input, is reffered to as head room.In short, you can never have too much power.

Cross just about any semi-decent speaker over high enough, and they will be able to play loud.It's how well they play loud that matters.

I still think that if the Soundstreams on High pass, are not enough in an MR2, then you need a hearing aid, to restore what hearing you have already lost, then go back and have a second listen !!

Ah k. Hmm... maybe Alberts screwed that up. Or I'm quite deaf XD.
I've got pair of Yamaha S215V club series cabinets in my room with a JBL MRX518 sub.
why would they put full pass on?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I edited, you might want to look up.

Home audio is a completely different story.To adjust the crossover points in a home audio setup, the speakers must first be running active, but anyways thats way off topic i wont even get into that.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I edited, you might want to look up.

Home audio is a completely different story.To adjust the crossover points in a home audio setup, the speakers must first be running active.Your passive crossovers will be located within the cabinets.

Ok I give up. I give up on this crossover business. It's the most confusing thing ever. Pro Audio and Car Audio are different, their efficiency is different.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
SoundStream TRC6.N (w/ or without SST-05's)

or

Focal 165KR

The Boston's dont appeal to me for some reason :S apart from the crossovers - with their heatsink etc are pretty cool. But I've never heard them. Don't actually know who sells them either (store in Perth to listen to em).

Would it make a difference if I added a Rockford 3sixty?

spxdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon, 02 VX Calais
Personally i would def go the 165KR's, i was ready to purchase them till l listened to the krx2's. (and to me the difference was huge!) Running 200wrms into them daily with no issues at all and couldnt be happier!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Personally i would def go the 165KR's, i was ready to purchase them till l listened to the krx2's. (and to me the difference was huge!) Running 200wrms into them daily with no issues at all and couldnt be happier!

Dang! Krx2's. How much you pick them up for?