Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front control arms gone after 53k on GTS

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
SuperPro swaybar links and control arms will be far superior to factory or HSV (if applicable). Noticed the example posted before :)
I am really stoked with their quality and robustness.
My whole car will be SuperPro bushes when I’m finished.
My Superpro HD front swaybar link failed really early and was returned. Mech and Fulcrum both said they were having some issues with them. This was going back a couple of years though.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
And this is what I hate about tyre shops! I’ve NEVER had a tyre shop point out worn out components on any car I’ve ever owned! Unfortunately they have a vested interest to see your tyres wear out quicker so they will never tell you when bushings etc are worn (in my experience anyway).
Tyre fitters barely make their wages and typically, no one wants to pay for a "proper job" when a tyre sale is all about the "cheapest price". Tyre fitters can't waste too much time or they don't earn their keep, it's about how fast they can get the car in, change the tyres and get it out. If customers were willing to pay $110 for a "proper" suspension check, the tyre shops would probably do it. Wheel alignments are the same thing, if they're not charging around $440 for a 4 wheel VE/VF alignment, they're doing a "roughie", a "near enough is good enough" job.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Actually last time my (septuagenarian) mother bought tyres the fitter suggested that the wear on the prior ones wasn't quite right and she should get the suspension checked &/or adjusted. Wasn't a service they offered either, so wasn't them upselling.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Tyre fitters barely make their wages and typically, no one wants to pay for a "proper job" when a tyre sale is all about the "cheapest price". Tyre fitters can't waste too much time or they don't earn their keep, it's about how fast they can get the car in, change the tyres and get it out. If customers were willing to pay $110 for a "proper" suspension check, the tyre shops would probably do it. Wheel alignments are the same thing, if they're not charging around $440 for a 4 wheel VE/VF alignment, they're doing a "roughie", a "near enough is good enough" job.
Accordinf to ACL, the service that they are paid to perform must be delivered with due care and skill...

So, if some bush is worn, or they faffed the alignment in their haste, and the consequence of such is that a tyre or tyres chew themselves out prematurely, then the shop is liable for any consequential damage that their shoddy workmanship caused...

People just need to hold these shops to account when they fcuk up on the quality of service they provide and it costs the vehicle owner a tyre or pair of tyres...

And as a consequence, if the shop needs to charge more to do the job with due care and skill, so be it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Except the car owner doesn't realise that cost(throat)-cutting in the tyre industry means that the fitter doesn't have time to run around the car checking for borked suspension ... blame Tempe Tyres for that entire situation, I know I do.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I understand that they wouldn’t go over everything while they are there but they are already looking at all the suspension components while they are aligning it. A conscientious person/tyre fitting company would say “hey, xyz looks like it’s leaking, loose, etc you might want to get it looked at”.

Instead they ignore anything that’s wrong with the car but have the nerve to hit you with a disclaimer that your tyres will wear faster if you refuse a wheel alignment because only just got one at the same store two weeks ago with a puncture repair and then realised your tyres were worn after checking them out two weeks after the tyre store just had the bald tyres it in their face doing your wheel alignment!

Yes that just happened to me a couple of months ago!

H

harrop.senator

Highest hourly rate unqualified spanner spinners in the industry.

As someone who's not great at tyres and can strip , fit and balance in 5-10 mins most the time the $35 fee is a joke tyre disposal is only $5.

I was smashing them one day laughing cause the old boss was like I hate strip fit and balances we could be making real money. I was like you charged him $25 cash and there's 4. That's $100 no taxes and will take me Half an hour that's almost double our usual rate before tax.

Most workshops are $120-150 an hour if you can't do a decent four corner alignment in an hour stop yarning to the guy on the hoist next to you.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Except the car owner doesn't realise that cost(throat)-cutting in the tyre industry means that the fitter doesn't have time to run around the car checking for borked suspension ... blame Tempe Tyres for that entire situation, I know I do.
It's been a slow slide to the bottom... and many owners may realise this but just don't care :mad:

If people cared, when those cheap business that deliver **** service first started out, nobody would have bought their crap.
Those businesses would have lost their investment and closed up... But the crowds came, and they bought...
So that model was considered a success and replicated :rolleyes:

Do i blame Tempe Tyres or their customers? Me i blame the buyers as Tempe's business model wouldn't exist without them :eek:
It's just like Maccas and their business model that started the obesety pandemic on a global scale :rolleyes:

That old addage comes to mind, pay for second hand oats and get horse shite...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you've always replaced your Conti's with new Conti's, try another brand of tire.
Continentals aren't renowned for lasting on a big, heavy lump like a HSV...

The brand of tyre doesn't cause the wear that car is showing....That's a suspension problem

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Being in the trade for many years, I can tell you, the biggest problem is the younger generation don't give a toss....I have tried to teach many of the younger generation the basics of checking for suspension wear and reading tyre wear problems and the little turds are more interested in getting the car off the hoist so they can shove their phones back in their face....

A quick check takes a whopping 5 minutes of your time...An alignment should take no more than half an hour to do properly....That is including the wiggle/shake, camber/caster and toe adjustment after reading the tyre wear....

There are tyre chains out there (Bob Jane being a classic example) that teach the little turds how to decipher red and green....Once they learn the colour differences, they can then shove cars in and out in 15 minutes and rape your wallet as a result...

I won't get into these pop up shops really littering the market now....To say the least, it's a friggen joke, but that's another story