Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel? - Does it make that much of a difference?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ok bottom line is that you can tune for same as petrol at low load, richen the thing to icy cold at low rpm (8.5:1) for bigger bang / torque, advance spark more during power band with higher octane and lean off whenever like petrol to be a miser.
You get better $/k at closed loop, better power / torque with higher AFR (burn shedloads) at WOT. Like 2.5l/k... But it's worth it!!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Our work vehicles are mandated to use E10, it's all they've ever had. All I can say is it's caused no issues and the economy is perfectly adequate. Both cars are near their 100k 4 year end of lease, never missed a service, and not once has a kitten died, nor does it seem like any will.

People will believe any old bullshit.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I see there's still people terrified about a bit of alcohol in their fuel - the ss runs exclusively on e85 and hasn't exploded on me!
Bp98, vortex, v power - my ute has had all of them in it and I couldn't tell the difference between any of them.

same here man ran bp, vortex and v power ect, no difference in anything, so now I just use v power as the servo is closest and pretty new

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The issue is simply that alcohol not only mixes with water, it attracts it. So the scouring effect is condensation - water droplets - which can (over time) erode pissweak lines and seals. Plastic and stainless is good but rubber needs to be up to spec.
You prolly already have an anti corrosion tank just change lines to plastic or stainless, net effect of watery alcohol not that different to meth and water injection.
Pump and injectors are main cost, plus to cater for all flex-fuel combos in your tune you need a flex sensor which costs ~$500 for a kit that includes lines etc.
Then you get tuned with cam for alcohol. :yarr:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pretty sure that Aussie fuel retailers are required (by some sort of law) to use a specific blend/level of rust inhibitors in ethanol based fuels. To the point where you'd need to leave you car sitting for as long as it might take to rust apart anyway. Whether they do or not is pretty difficult to gauge, but my bet is they do.

When was the last time anyone knew these rumours to be true? Like actual fact saw with their own eyes true? My mate the mechanic tells me all sorts of weird arsed stories of random ****, but never one about E10 killing a car's fuel system. Until such a time, for me, it'll sit with all those other wives tales like; don't swim after you eat.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
don't swim after you eat.

Stuff me,is that not true? hehe

But seriously I also use BP Ultimate,not tried Shell V and not a huge fan of Caltex but am sure there all pretty similar...and i use an independent place who amazingly doesn't "cycle" his fuel price by the obligatory 15c or so per litre around Wednesday of each and every week like all the other sharks.Now THAT is something that has pissed me off for years.

Not too worried about fuel economy personally.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Run our stock 09 SS on 91 heaps, tried 98 for 4 tanks and no difference in economy or driving to be honest.

98 only worth it if you've tuned the car.

Re cam and E85, by time you spend over $1500 for the twin pump and larger injectors not really worth it, stay on 98 and the standard pump and injectors will be ok. But if your shaving heads(i'm running 13:1 comp) e 85 is great gear especially in summer car runs heaps better, if in future your thinking blower even better!!!!!!!

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
I've tried all the big brand fuels in the clubby and have not really felt any difference at all.....maybe alittle further on the tank but that's it!
I've even done back to backs with Shell 95 and Shell 98 and found it to gives me afew (~20 oddKs) extra K's with no power gains...and if it does then it's only afew Kw IMO!,that's why I just fill up with shell95.
I can't justify paying $1.70 for BP98 compared to $1.55 for Shell95 just for afew extra K's I'll stick to shell95 thanks