Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore SS V8
Hi looks like I'm joining the club with this "service esp lamp/ injector fault" issue.
My 2013 VF HSV R8 Clubsport Tourer flashed a "service ESP" message on the dash and the engine check lamp came on after replacing the coolant. Thought i may have got some moisture in a connector or something, however after checking every connector possible the check lamp stayed on, the "service ESP" message never returned after the first encounter however. Figured a bit of heat would help dry any moisture out so took her for a good thrashing, which after a few stops to switch her off and restart her the check lamp finally went away, and i figured problem solved. Took her out later that night and noticed she was idling a bit rough, throttle response was crap, the trans wasn't shifting properly, had a noticeable loss in power, and she just wasn't at all herself. Gonna check resistance of injectors after work tomorrow.
Just wondering what the outcome was with Holden coming to the party with the replacement of injectors. Mines done 107Kms now and obviously out of warranty, but a fault which should have been a recall should be covered still 1 would hope.
Cheers
Hi Holden don’t care I out laid $1600 for fuel injectors and a fuel pump and touch wood I haven’t had any trouble . My fuel injectors went belly up every two months so decided to replace them and then the fuel pump went $1200 for that forget Holden they all sold us lemons. I would never buy a Holden car ever again . But I do love my 2016 VF2 V8
I take my car back to my mechanic twice a year and they keep it going .
I reached out to Holden and got no satisfaction . No help no reimbursement . So Holden your after sales service is non existent.

Flotterz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SSV Redline sedan 6 spd manual
I have a MY2016 VF Series II SSV Redline 6 spd manual that I have had since new. When it was only a few months old, Holden replaced all of the injectors under warranty as two of them had failed in quick succession. Now, six years and 140,000 Km later, the engine warning light is coming on again and I had the Service ESP warning accompanied by an intermittent engine misfire. I will be pretty unhappy if I have to pay for a total replacement again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have a MY2016 VF Series II SSV Redline 6 spd manual that I have had since new. When it was only a few months old, Holden replaced all of the injectors under warranty as two of them had failed in quick succession. Now, six years and 140,000 Km later, the engine warning light is coming on again and I had the Service ESP warning accompanied by an intermittent engine misfire. I will be pretty unhappy if I have to pay for a total replacement again.
Knowing the fault codes you’re getting would be informative as faulty injectors cause cylinder misfires DTC’s if I remember correctly.

Faulty injectors can be esitly tested by checking their resistance. If any are out of spec, all injectors must should be replaced.

And in that case you shouldn’t have to pay anything as injectors should be a life of vehicle component and last more than 6 years or 140,000kms..

Under consumer law you should be protected but Holden will likely deny any claims and the selling dealer (who are the ones responsible for meeting your ACL statutory warranty under law) will say it’s outside their hands. If that occurs you simply need to remind the selling dealer of your ACL rights and their obligations and suggest if they can’t or won’t resolve the matter you’ll have to take action via small claims.

You may need to contact Queensland consumer group and discuss the situation and your options and/or also talk to QCAT about the claims process and any upfront costs.

But on the off chance the injector resistance is ok, after 140,000 you’ve probably had 21,000 litres (140k/100*15) of fuel through the tank so it may have some crud in it. Most vehicle makes require a filter change at around the 60,000kms but Holdens uses a in-tank fuel filter made from unicorn horns and thus never needs changing as it’s not listed in the service schedule (not listed probably because to change the in-tank filter/pump is a big job and thus costly which makes servicing commodores look costly)…

Maybe checking fuel pressure at all power levels will verify if there is or isn’t any fuel starvation due to partially blocked filter which could cause some issues. Else maybe the injectors are gummies up a little and need a tank or two of injector cleaner to (well) clean them.…

Good luck with it and let us know what occurs.

Last edited:

Weatherman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS S2
Hello all - I have this injector problem 2016 SSV Redline 50,000Ks. Misfire No 1, ESP fault etc.
Car never missed a beat till this month. Only one injector showing fault.
To diagnose after first view, my mech cleared faults and car roared like the proverbial, no codes came up. So home without charge, I went with glee!!
Started up next day for an outing and same ESP fault & misfire etc. So it looks like I too will be replacing injector/s.

Did anyone have a recurrence after replacements?
Is there a possibility the problem is related to not driving the car everyday? Seems low Ks is common High Ks not such a problem?
Does the injector dry out therefore creating a problem?

Any thoughts.

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore SS V8
Hello all - I have this injector problem 2016 SSV Redline 50,000Ks. Misfire No 1, ESP fault etc.
Car never missed a beat till this month. Only one injector showing fault.
To diagnose after first view, my mech cleared faults and car roared like the proverbial, no codes came up. So home without charge, I went with glee!!
Started up next day for an outing and same ESP fault & misfire etc. So it looks like I too will be replacing injector/s.

Did anyone have a recurrence after replacements?
Is there a possibility the problem is related to not driving the car everyday? Seems low Ks is common High Ks not such a problem?
Does the injector dry out therefore creating a problem?

Any thoughts.
Kazzy here replaced all my fuel injectors every two months got sick of it replaced them all myself and then the fuel tank went so replaced it as well never had a problem used my own mechanic wouldn’t rely on Holden for anything.

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Righto, thanks for replies fellas. Yeah, I would have thought that injectors should last longer than 50 odd 000 kms. I had a VX Berlina that had 150 000 on it when I sold it, never missed a beat. I'll be interested to hear of any others over the next few months to see if any more instances crop up (not that everyone who owns a VF SS comes here so there could be other cases already).
That sounds better.
I have a SSV Redline my 14 with 87 K and my other car which is a 1994 VR with almost 400 K and haven't missed a beat.
I only replaced the o rings.

Reactions: Lex

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
Had a complete and sudden injector failure in cylinder 6 recently in my l77 at 215000 kms (injector part number GM12639221). Got no reading at all across the pins on the multimeter. Decided to test the other 7 and cylinder 2 injector resistance was double what it should be (but it was still functioning). The remaining injectors resistance was all within spec. So I bought 2 injectors at $77 bucks a piece from holden, replaced them both myself in under 30 mins. All up cost $154 and 30 mins of my time! Do this job yourself lads, don't get screwed by a dealer with ridiculous marked up injector pricing and labour costs if Holden won't cover it. I think I read somewhere in this thred Holden wanted 3 hrs labour or some bullsh*t?