Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

full keyless button start ignition

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
i've been thinking how i can change the ignition on my VT from the ignition barrel to a full push button, ive done it twice with my suzuki sierra 4x4's but the VT is a whole different setup, so its not that easy. Now i know the key is required to connect with the barrel to start the car but i was thinking what if it is possible to remove the chip out of the keyhead and permenantly wire it up to the ignition barrel behind the steering wheel? Then all you'd need is to figure out the barrel wires to connect to a push button yeah? though it would be ideal to still need the key to unlock the car/immobilser or maybe a kill switch? to start the car so thieves cant just bust the window and push the button and away they go if you know what i mean...

what are the obsticals in achieving this? has anyone done this before, maybe differently? i was thinking of the push button from an XR5 turbo Focus - driven heaps of em when i was a driver at port of brisbane and the push button setup was great!! and i like the button lol

im pretty set on having a full button start but i dont want it to be so easy to steal...

thoughts?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
so one button to turn on ignition, the push again to start, then push again to stop?

or flick a switch for ignition, then push button to start, then flick off switch to stop car?

you will still need to use the key to disable the steering lock, which must be functional for rego.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
so one button to turn on ignition, the push again to start, then push again to stop?

or flick a switch for ignition, then push button to start, then flick off switch to stop car?

you will still need to use the key to disable the steering lock, which must be functional for rego.

good thinking!!

- i like the idea of push on to start the car and push off to stop
- as for accessories maybe a 2nd button with the same sequence as above, push on push off for when you need it? like playing music without starting the car?
- steering lock is a tough one..my car is registered so i could just remove it? though as i said i would prefer to keep the car safe from thieves..
- i also want to keep the button looking as factory as possible, placement somewhere on the dash or near the gearstick ect.
- what about a small keypad to put in a 4digit code before starting the car?

what cha think?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
If a guy is looking to steal a car and all it looks like it need is for someoen to push the button, they will break in. if they find out they cant, you still got the price of a borken window at least. Probs not worth it, least not out in the open.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
i reckon its simple enough. i had a ts astra that the ignition buggered up in,so i just wired in a push button start but still used the key remote to unlock the car. when i needed to start the car i just stuck the key in the ignition to unlock the steering then pushed the button to start the car. when i turned the ignition off by the key the car would stop. this was a bodgey job just to keep using the car but it worked & they have a similar ignition setup to a commodore. have a look at the link for a proper push button start system that i was contemplating on putting in my vx

PUSH START BUTTON IGNITION STARTER SWITCH RED & WIRING - eBay Switches, Controls, Interior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 06-Sep-10 19:00:00 AEST)

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
the factory ignition barrel will remain and the button will be on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash i'd say or down near the gearstick. the only thing i can see stopping me is figuring out how to wire up a keypad input to bypass the immobilser and start the car (like a pin number). I'll still need the key to lock & unlock the car, then ya put the pin in push the button n away you go..

accessories will come on automatically with the button start as well as having the 2nd button for use when the car isnt running..

know what i mean? so the key is only used for locking/unlocking the car.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Simple to wire in, easy as. Still use key, turn key to on position, but hook push button to the starting position wiring where you would turn the key to the starter motor position. :) That way, no-one cant flog your car, your key lock still works, even so you could run the push button in parallel, so you could hide it when it comes rego time. I am pretty sure the BF GTPs have their push button setup in a similar way. If you had a VE that would even be better, you would only have to push the button and let it go and the car would start itself.
Nice idea, I have a VT, mmm, got me thinking. lol You could arrange to have a flap arrangement that covers the button so dudes walking by won't see it.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
its basically like hotwiring a car. what i did was just removed the wire for start then wired that to one terminal on the push button(which was 2 bucks at jaycar for a real tiny one so it could be hidden) then the other side was earthed. ignition turned on for all dash lights,steering lock etc,then button was pushed to start. the button i used was just a simple push it in & when you release your finger off the button the starter would stop but car would have started(be running). the push button would operate the starter without the key in the ignition but wouldnt run unless the key was in the ignition.

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
the key dosnt 'HAVE TOO' be touching the key reader to start it. ... the unlock button on the key turn's all the security off for 20 sec's or so..... also wont re-arm till ignition is off again...

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
hey mate, slightly off topic but did u work for Prixcar or patricks?

Spent 3 yrs at prixcar a couple years back, great opportunity to play with all the cars!