Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear box problem

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
In short it's most likely a T56.
Yes Losh i have noticed that finding any number when needed is hard work
and may have to remove it to find in most cases and can be a time waiting
process we have to do this if from time to time because of the unknown
until we get the information we need it to be more clearly to the answer

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes Losh i have noticed that finding any number when needed is hard work
and may have to remove it to find in most cases and can be a time waiting
process we have to do this if from time to time because of the unknown
until we get the information we need it to be more clearly to the answer
I bought a camera and tried that but I could still not find the number.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From the T56 repair manual - unfortunately your problem is not included. Full manual is 1.7gb.

Attachments

• T56 Trouble Shooting.pdf
    285.7 KB · Views: 86

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Is the VE gearbox the same as the VF S2
just asking I have no idea yer but this a V8
The gearboxes are different as the VE (up to 2012 IIRC) has a standard solid flywheel and the V8 manuals after that have a dual mass flywheel.

The difference is probably only the deeper bell housing to fit the DMF but there might possibly be other changes as well.

Courtyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV series 1
Seems like it’s a somewhat common problem with them. I do remember a rebuild video on YouTube mentioning one time that this shaft is the part you will wreck if you just accelerate hard in 6th gear. He said 6th is only a cruising gear and if you need to accelerate don’t just hammer the accelerator, shift it down a gear or two.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tr6060+fifth+and+sixth+gear+not+engaging&client=safari&sca_esv=585133162&channel=ipad_bm&ei=UhxhZdj9NLCOnesPl4eS6AQ&oq=tr6060+fifth+and+sixth+gear+not &gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiIXRyNjA2MCBmaWZ0aCBhbmQgc2l4dGggZ2VhciBub3TCoCoCCAEyBRAhGKABMgUQIRigATIFECEYoAFIuDpQnwxY_B9wAXgBkAEAmAHlAaAB5AeqAQUwLjIuM7gBAcgBAPgBAcICChAAGEcY1gQYsAPiAwQYACBBiAYBkAYI&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#ip=1
Yes I have never hammered it in 6th as I know it’s just an overdrive gear and it’s got almost no pickup in 6th if I’m going to boot it I’ll always drop it down to 4th

Courtyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV series 1
I have been told it's a 6060, but I think that is wrong and 2008 VE still has the T56. According to Mal Wood the only way to truly know is by checking the TUIT number as there are about 14 variations of the 6060 that were used by Holden in the VE and VF.
Mine says it’s a TR6060 M10 on the tag and it’s a 2008 ssv

Courtyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV series 1
The gearboxes are different as the VE (up to 2012 IIRC) has a standard solid flywheel and the V8 manuals after that have a dual mass flywheel.

The difference is probably only the deeper bell housing to fit the DMF but there might possibly be other changes as well.
I do know that my mechanic did tell me it’s a dual mass fly wheel. It also says on my invoice from him that he put dextron v1 auto transmission fluid in after draining my gearbox oil to check for metal shavings which he did not find.

Courtyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV series 1
I do know that my mechanic did tell me it’s a dual mass fly wheel. It also says on my invoice from him that he put dextron v1 auto transmission fluid in after draining my gearbox oil to check for metal shavings which he did not find.
But I can guarantee this time he will 110% find metal shavings.